free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: TD Visa Application Process

Hi all,

My husband will be working in the US with a TN1 Visa and I will be joining him once I wrap up loose ends at our Cdn household.

I was looking on-line for a form to fill in for TD Visa (Status) and found all the documentation I need to bring (passport, birth cert, marriage cert, copy of his passport & visa) but I could not find a form. Do I just inform the customs/immigration officer when I drive down to the border?

I found the passage below from a USCIS document and am wondering if the employer has to make mention of a TD Visa request with my husband's TN Visa letter of employment?

"Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of Canadian and Mexican professionals obtain TD status. They can be included on the application of the TN principal (no separate filing fees) and admitted for the same duration of stay."

Any insight much appreciated!
    karen

Hi all,

My husband will be working in the US with a TN1 Visa and I will be joining him once I wrap up loose ends at our Cdn household.

I was looking on-line for a form to fill in for TD Visa (Status) and found all the documentation I need to bring (passport, birth cert, marriage cert, copy of his passport & visa) but I could not find a form. Do I just inform the customs/immigration officer when I drive down to the border?

I found the passage below from a USCIS document and am wondering if the employer has to make mention of a TD Visa request with my husband's TN Visa letter of employment?

"Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of Canadian and Mexican professionals obtain TD status. They can be included on the application of the TN principal (no separate filing fees) and admitted for the same duration of stay."

Any insight much appreciated!
    karen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">TD Visa Application Process </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For general information, see INA Section 214(e)(2) and 8 CFR 214.6(j)

Good luck

thx a mint for the link mike_2007!

I'd read a lot on the visa so I knew all the general stuff, what I couldn't find was what form to use - your link provided that info. Much appreciated!

(For any after me who are lurking - the answer is no forms required.)

RationalE - I appreciate your references but searches on them did not result in the specific info required, thx tho.

cheers,
    karen

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RationalE - I appreciate your references but searches on them did not result in the specific info required, thx tho.
    cheers,
    karen </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are welcome.
    There was a similar post here , though it was by TN holder inquiring about extension who confused TN with TD

http://discuss.ilw.com/eve/forums/a/.../m/43110103141

In any case I think it would be great if this forum had 'sticky' posts (like some other forums do) whereby the most commonly asked questions would be posted under certain threads (amassed on top) and everybody could search them to find answers to FAQ's (Like "TN/TD visa thread", "I-751 thread", "N-400 thread", "I-485 FB thread", "I-485-EB thread" and etc).

P.S. And BTW, I am not an attorney nor Canadian familiar with laws governing TN/TD issuance, but had you followed 8 CFR 214.6(j)" Spouse and unmarried minor children accompanying or following to join. (1) The spouse of unmarried minor child of a citizen of Canada or Mexico admitted in TN nonimmigrant status shall be required to present a valid, unexpired nonimmigrant TD visa unless otherwise exempt under 212.1 of this chapter" , it would lead you to 8 CFR 212.1 (a) whereby it states that you are visa exempt (ergo you apply for admission at the border, and get admitted in proper status by Border Officer upon presenting the supporting evidence that you are a Canadian Citizen and following to join a TN holder).

Glad you found the answer you needed

Good luck

RationalE, thx for your post back.

I did see that other thread using the search function on this board. However, it didn't answer my specific question on if there was a form to use. The search function is pretty good - I've lurked info from other threads with it.

Altho I knew from USCIS website that I didn't need a visa to apply for a TD, I was unsure if there was a form that I needed to fill in (in which case I thought it'd be better to have it done before I arrived at the border so as to not delay the queue). I could not find specific reference for a form to complete NOR that no forms needed to be completed. Hence, my posting and question.

I didn't realize that the "no visa required = no form to fill in at the border". Now I know thx.

cheers,
    karen

If you also tried to read attentively and carefully (and not just 'lurk around') you would also find the answer to your specific question on the spot (in or out of this board).

In any case, good luck and glad that you know what you needed to know

RationalE