50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-485 and I-130.... what's next?

ok i filed my I-485 and I-130 but i couldn't afford to send i-765 with it . they told me in ins that i would have to wait for something to come in before i send my other form in... how long does it takes to get receipts? and what's going to happen next?

ok i filed my I-485 and I-130 but i couldn't afford to send i-765 with it . they told me in ins that i would have to wait for something to come in before i send my other form in... how long does it takes to get receipts? and what's going to happen next?

Why would you file I-485 and I-130? One is if the petitioner lives in the US and the other is if they doesn't live in the US. Just wanted to mention this because I originally filed a I-485 when I lived in Canada and found out 6 months into the process that I should have filed the I-130. Maybe you should check this out.

Any person INSIDE the United States that wishes to adjust status must file the I-130 and I-485 concurrently.

One cannot file an I=485 outside of the US (e.g. Canada) because one cannot adjust status if they are not inside the US.

daryna,

You should receive a Notice of Action (NOA) 1-3 weeks from when you filed your AOS package. If you paid with a personal check, you can get the receipt number off the back of the check once it is cashed by USCIS.

what about if i paid by money order? and when can i file my i-765?

Well, money orders are more difficult. You have to get the company issuing the money order to issue you the canceled receipt. Not an easy process. Best just to wait for your NOA to arrive. You can file the EAD as soon as you get the NOA acknowledging receipt of your AOS package. You will need to include a copy so that you can prove you have already submitted the I-485.

thanks.
    i made money orders to uscis is it right? and i didnt clip things together would that be a problem?

USCIS is correct. Clipping or not clipping is not going to make a difference. Sounds like all you can do now is sit back and wait for that NOA to arrive.

the problem with these boards is that all kinds of people who think they know about immigration throw their opinion in here, and can sometimes mess someone up...I wish only those who really know the process offered advice. Some who have been throught it, think that just because they have been throught it, it makes them an expert. Meanwhile, every case is different, and things change overnight...best place to look for advice are these immigration websites or the USCIS website.