free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I-864 for unemployed but have cosponsor

Hi Guys,
    i have filed I-485 together with I-864 (signed by my wife)and I-864A(Signed by her dad because he is the cosponsor).Last Monday we received a mail from USCIS for my wife to submit her tax returns.We have filled $0.00 in the I-864 because she is unemployed. I don't know what other thing we should do.
    The letter by the USCIS asked us to provide statement of explanation as why she is not required to file a federal income tax.
    Do you guys have an idea how we should do the explanation?
    Shall we fill new I-864 and attach another paper with explanation ? Or just explanation only ?
    I gave my finger prints but will this process going to delay my EAD ? It has been more than 7 months since we married but i don't have EAD sofar.

Many thanks for your help

Hi Guys,
    i have filed I-485 together with I-864 (signed by my wife)and I-864A(Signed by her dad because he is the cosponsor).Last Monday we received a mail from USCIS for my wife to submit her tax returns.We have filled $0.00 in the I-864 because she is unemployed. I don't know what other thing we should do.
    The letter by the USCIS asked us to provide statement of explanation as why she is not required to file a federal income tax.
    Do you guys have an idea how we should do the explanation?
    Shall we fill new I-864 and attach another paper with explanation ? Or just explanation only ?
    I gave my finger prints but will this process going to delay my EAD ? It has been more than 7 months since we married but i don't have EAD sofar.

Many thanks for your help

Dear Davdah

Thank you for your response.
    We are living with her family.
    I'm processing some exams to go forward with my profession and she graduated last year, she is doing some volunteer work.
    By the way we have attached all the IRS things from her dad as cosponsor.

Heeelp,
    If she did not work for the year and had no income, she may not need to file a tax return. You can write just that. Explain that she was not working, who was supporting her and because she had no income, and met the conditions, did not file. Be sure to check out the conditions first though.
    Do I need to file a tax return?

Yeah, that's true. Just file now and submit. You may still want to attach a note explaining why you filed it late. Something like this:

USCIS,
    Attached, you will find a copy of my tax return for 2007, as requested. Please note, I had no earned income for the year as I was being supported financially by ___________. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions.
    Sincerely, X