free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: HELP I-751

Hello
    I have a question regarding the I-751. My son's and my permanent resident card will expire in July. My question is, I've heard that I can file 90 days before it expires. My problem is that my son and I plan on going to Germany for the summer. (We would be in Germany when the Permanent resident card expires). My question is how long does it take to get the status changed to Green Card, I guess, and can I file more than 90 days before it expires. Does anybody has a phone Nr. from the INS in Mequite, Tx where I could talk to somebody else than the machine
    Thanks a lot

Hello
    I have a question regarding the I-751. My son's and my permanent resident card will expire in July. My question is, I've heard that I can file 90 days before it expires. My problem is that my son and I plan on going to Germany for the summer. (We would be in Germany when the Permanent resident card expires). My question is how long does it take to get the status changed to Green Card, I guess, and can I file more than 90 days before it expires. Does anybody has a phone Nr. from the INS in Mequite, Tx where I could talk to somebody else than the machine
    Thanks a lot

You have to file 90 prior and also,you have to be present and available in case your son receives a letter (which he will) to come for an interview or Biometrics.Basically if you miss the date INS sets,they will deny the application,no questions asked.

And also,if you sons leaves the country and his permament card expeires during the time in germany,he will not be allowed to re-enter the country with a expired resident card.

and usually if you file for i751,it takes up to 1 year and in some cases even longer....

Filing the I751 can be done within 90 days of the expiry date only. Once the alien receives an NOA extending status for an additional 12 months, the alien is free to travel, but must be available for an interview if scheduled.

Is there someone at your permanent home in the USA that would be able to alert you if correspondence about an interview arrives? The other issue is that an alien needs to make sure that any absence from the USA is not perceived as an abandonment of PR.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Why is it that everybody wants to travel overseas while the case is pending? I know it is hard since I am in a similar situation, but leaving can complicate things which can only delay the case. My advise is wait and then when everything is over and finalized, go visit Germany.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by grizzly:
    Why is it that everybody wants to travel overseas while the case is pending? I know it is hard since I am in a similar situation, but leaving can complicate things which can only delay the case. My advise is wait and then when everything is over and finalized, go visit Germany. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not say I want to travel while the case is pending . The reason I asked is because I was going to buy or book airlinetickets. The sooner you book the cheaper the tickets

My advice,don't travel until you or your sons status is secure...if u wanna take the risk,just travel...but once u miss an interview or what not...its later alligator lol.

seriously,don't book anyhting until you guys receive confirmation etc...

Filing the I-751 can be done within 90 days of the expiry date only.

This is only my view, consult an immigration lawyer, they will help alot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a question regarding the I-751. My son's and my permanent resident card will expire in July. My question is, I've heard that I can file 90 days before it expires. My problem is that my son and I plan on going to Germany for the summer. (We would be in Germany when the Permanent resident card expires). My question is how long does it take to get the status changed to Green Card, I guess, and can I file more than 90 days before it expires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did not say I want to travel while the case is pending. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of us are just beginning to learn the German language, so cut us some slack!