free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Green card questions?

Hello,
    I'm gonna get married with my fiancee who's a US citizen and I want to apply for a green card. However, I don;t know a lot about immigration immigration. I went to the USCIS website, but it;s still confusing when I read about green card process.
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with the process of getting the green card, such as what forms I need to send first to USCIS, what documentations I need to prepare, should I hire a lawyer or not, etc.
    I talked with a lawyer from Dallas, TX and he mentioned about "rapid green card process" in which the time for review of forms and documentations, interview, etc will be held at the same time and the process just take about 90 days. Does anybody know about this and how the system works? Also, is the rapid green card process only for Dallas, TX or it's the same case for Houston, TX and other cities in TX too?
    Thank you

Hello,
    I'm gonna get married with my fiancee who's a US citizen and I want to apply for a green card. However, I don;t know a lot about immigration immigration. I went to the USCIS website, but it;s still confusing when I read about green card process.
    I was wondering if anyone can help me with the process of getting the green card, such as what forms I need to send first to USCIS, what documentations I need to prepare, should I hire a lawyer or not, etc.
    I talked with a lawyer from Dallas, TX and he mentioned about "rapid green card process" in which the time for review of forms and documentations, interview, etc will be held at the same time and the process just take about 90 days. Does anybody know about this and how the system works? Also, is the rapid green card process only for Dallas, TX or it's the same case for Houston, TX and other cities in TX too?
    Thank you

Hi Stlie,

tell us a little bit more about your background: how did you enter the US. If legaly, on what visa.

Following is the process if you entered legaly and are otherwise eligible to adjust status:
    - your husband files I-130 and you fill out I-485.
    - you can also add I-765 to receive Employment authorisation document, so you can work before you are approved for Green Card
    - and maybe I-131 for Advance Parole to travel outside the US during the processing time (don't do that if you overstayed your visa)

Look at the above forms. It will tell you what supporting documents you have to send with them, as well as fees you have to pay.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/index.htm

For an overwiev of the process, check

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/legpermres.htm

Once you learn about the process, you'll see how comfortable you are doing it yourself, and weather you want to hire a lawyer. If you have something in your past that's worrisome, have at least the consultations with a lawyer.

Process in Dallas is so called DORA program. I don't think you can use it unless you live in the jurisdiction of Dallas USCIS office.

Hello,
    I came into the US legally with F1 visa. I'm still going to school now.
    When I called a lawyer in Dallas, he said that I live in Dallas jurisdiction. Do you know more about DORA program? Where can i find more information about DORA program? With DORA program, what forms I need to submit?
    Can i file the I-130 and I-485 at the same time? because I read someone post and he/she said that we can file it at the same time.
    Thank you

Yes, you should submit I-130 and I-485 together. If you go for DORA, I don't think you need to apply for Employment authorisation document or Advance Parole (the whole idea is that you get GC within 90 days - and it normaly takes that long to receive the above documents).

I don't know more about DORA, but there is a lot of information available (just google DORA) on the net about personal experiences. You can also call the local office and ask about the procedure.

Good luck

Thank you for your reply aneri.
    Do you know by any chance how can I find out if Tyler, TX is in Dallas jurisdiction or not?
    Moreover, for DORA program, do I need to submit I-130 and I-485 forms only?
    Thank you

From the FAQ's:

"Receive their Permanent Resident Card within 90 days of filing, if their application is approved, and save money by not filing for employment authorization or travel documents."

"What if my case is not completed within the initial 90-day period?
    If your case cannot be completed within 90 days, USCIS will notify you by mail or e-mail. The notice will state that you have the option of filing Form I-765 , Application for Employment, and/or Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, with the appropriate fees.

NOTE: You may file a for I-765 Application for Employment, or Form I-131 Travel Document at any point during the processing of your application if an emergency arises and you feel the need to apply for either or both"

"Service Area:
    The Dallas District Office serves all of Dallas, Fort Worth, Irving, North and Central Texas (Panhandle and North of Waco). The following counties in Texas: Anderson, Andrews, Archer, Armstrong, Bailey, Baylor, Borden, Bosque, Bowie, Briscoe, Callahan, Camp, Carson, Cass, Castro, Cherokee, Childress, Clay, Cochran, Collin, Collingsworth, Comanche, Cooke, Cottle, Crosby, Dallam, Dallas, Dawson, Deaf Smith, Delta, Denton, ****ens, Donley, Eastland, Ellis, Erath, Fannin, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Franklin, Freestone, Gaines, Garza, Gray, Grayson, Gregg, Hale, Hall, Hamilton, Hansford, Hardeman, Harison, Hartley, Haskell, Hemphill, Henderson, Hill, Hockley, Hood, Hopkins, Houston, Howard, Hunt, Hutchinson, Jack, Johnson, Jones, Kaufman, Kent, King, Knox, Lamar, Lamb, Leon, Limestone, Lipscomb, Lubbock, Lynn, Marion, Martin, Mitchell, Montague, Moore, Morris, Motley, Navarro, Nolan, Ochiltree, Oldham, Palo Pinto, Panola, Parker, Parmer, Potter, Rains, Randall, Red River, Roberts, Rockwall, Rusk, Scurry, Shackelford, Sherman, Smith, Somervell, Stephens, Stonewall, Swisher, Tarrant, Taylor, Terry, Throckmorton, Titus, Upshur, Van Zandt, Wheeler, Wichita, Willbarger, Wise, Wood, Yoakum, and Young."

Reality Check, any attorney claiming they can make sure a rapid green card is for sure as hell not a good attorney.\
    Here is a little wake up call for ya.
    Regardless if you have an attorney or not,the process for a green card is ALWAYS up to the Immigration.
    2ndly, in your case it will take longer than usual anyways.
    Firts you need to get married, then file your papers for a work permit,which will be your first card you'll receieve...then you have to wait for the green card, oh by the way, you will have to go through a marriage interview,and then get a stamp in your passport,and wait another weeks or months for the green card to be process and sent to you...
    you have to go through finger prints.

So bottom line,its a basic knowledge and common since in all the law books,any attorney claiming they can help you get a green card in no time,is a **** and has NOOOOO knowledge.
    Doesn't matter what state,city you live in...

HBKHBK,

There is such a pilot program in Dallas, TX where you can get your GC within 90 days. While having a lawyer will not speed the process, meeting all the requirements almost guarantee you a GC within that time frame. The lawyer did not lie by stating that he can get a GC in 90 days. If you live in the Dallas area (check Still Learning's post for your area) and you are eligible, then you can apply for the 90 day program.

Newly