publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: I131 travel document received after 1,5 years of processing.

Hi all!

I just wanted to share my excitment and sadness I am fulfilled now with. On November 1, 2002, I a conditional US resident, filed form I131 for a reentry permit. A couple of weeks later I've received a receipt that said "It takes between 140 and 170 days for us to process this kind of case". However, as you all know, it's hard to trust those dates, so on March 22, 2004 (about 17 months after filing) I've finally got a response from INS that they need additional evidences, my stupid lawyer messed up dates on the application and processing officer didn't like that much. Anyway, we submitted back requried evidences and today, May 7, 2004 I finally got, expected for so long, my travel document. I should, probably, be the happiest man alive, because I can go home now, but the sad part of this story is that this travel document expires in 3,5 months because my conditional GC expires on the same date. I will try to use this little window to go back home, but does somebody know if it's a big challenge and how long it takes to get another passport after I file I751 form to remove my conditions? Will I have to wait another 1,5 years to get a passport that is valid for 3 months? Thank you guys, hope the rest of you is more lucky than I am.

Hi all!

I just wanted to share my excitment and sadness I am fulfilled now with. On November 1, 2002, I a conditional US resident, filed form I131 for a reentry permit. A couple of weeks later I've received a receipt that said "It takes between 140 and 170 days for us to process this kind of case". However, as you all know, it's hard to trust those dates, so on March 22, 2004 (about 17 months after filing) I've finally got a response from INS that they need additional evidences, my stupid lawyer messed up dates on the application and processing officer didn't like that much. Anyway, we submitted back requried evidences and today, May 7, 2004 I finally got, expected for so long, my travel document. I should, probably, be the happiest man alive, because I can go home now, but the sad part of this story is that this travel document expires in 3,5 months because my conditional GC expires on the same date. I will try to use this little window to go back home, but does somebody know if it's a big challenge and how long it takes to get another passport after I file I751 form to remove my conditions? Will I have to wait another 1,5 years to get a passport that is valid for 3 months? Thank you guys, hope the rest of you is more lucky than I am.

You now have travel documents and permission to reenter the country. When you file for you I-751 removal of conditions, you will get a NOA that states authorizes work and travel documents for 1 year. or something like that, but while you are waiting for your conditions to be removed you should be able to travel. Make sure to file your forms the 90 days before the date expires on the card, so you do not cut it too close. You should be fine though. By the way, what country are you traveling to and from?

Thanks for your reply, Ardainia , I am a citizen of Russia, going to Ukraine, currently live in Miami, FL.

Have a great trip! Also, if you and your spouse are able (meaning you are not intimidated by INS forms, you don't have to be), fill out the I-751 yourself and save some money.

Ardainia, thanks for advice. This is exactly what I am planning to do. I asked people from this forum and they all suggested not to use a lawyer. I am going in on my own, and I will let all know the end result.

Since you are already a green card holder.... it's sad that you didn't know that you don't need re-entry permits for short trips to other countries,that is, lasting up to a year. Re-entry permit is needed when you intend to stay out of the U.S. for more than a year but less than two.
    It is nice to have re-entry permit, because it gives you sense of security, but the point is that you could have left and then your wife or friends could have mailed the permit to you for you to enter the U.S. with it. If you were planning to stay in Ukraine for a long time, of course.