free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 82 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Discussion Board Moderators

ILW.COM is looking for volunteers to help us moderate the discussion board on our site and participate in conversations with the immigration enthusiasts and mavens who fruitfully contribute to our community. Ideal candidates are immigration attorneys who are pro-immigration but at the same time tolerate anti-immigration activists.

Interested? Please email webmaster@ilw.com for more information.
    -BoardWizard

I want to be a moderator.

I can bring valuable content to ilw.com and share well argued (not sraw men arguments) point of view in support of Humane and Fair treatment of all members of society , regardless of immigration status.

I will tolerate anyone who can tolerate opposing point of view.

Please approve me for the position of ilw.com board moderator!

Sincerely,

OldE2

Aren't discussions needed in order to have a moderator?

What this place really needs is some direction . For one, post some articles that will provoke a response and debate. Create a subsection for questions and answers physically separate from the main board. I suggested that before. Trying to commingle it in the main forum using a qualified title isn't doing anyone any favors. Most would be posters see the usual responses and shy away. That's why it's dropped dead.

The forum needs segmented into various topics. One for questions and answers. Others could be news, countries of interest, debates, etc....

For example. There is a trial in Norway with a guy who declared war on multiculturalism in his country. That might get some interest and commentary. To draw viewers in you need to have something controversial, debatable, and titillating.
    This message brought to you by the vast right wing conspiracy.

All hopes of this being a true discussion board have been dashed. Everyone left, basically. And when new people sign on for help, they are pounced on by arrogant people who believe immigrants are trash. Sure, their posts get deleted after the fact, but the posters see them before and they are turned off. If I was an immigrant, this would be the LAST place I would seek help.

I would caution ilw.com owners against "moderators" who under the disguise of "moderation" practice tyrannical suppression of opinion that is different from their own.

I think I could be a great moderator as I can easily tolerate opinions of those who strongly disagree with mine (for example, despite very strong disagreement with poster davdah I would never ban or refuse him ability to post here ), whereas I am sure that many posters who complain about this board in fact are simply dreaming of a way to censorship and shut down any voice different from their own.

Refrain from appointing sneaky tyrants and enemies of free speech in the position of moderators.
    Let one who truly and sincerely believes in First Amendment be one to moderate this site.

Sincerely,

OldE2

My friend's brother is an attorney in NY, I will pass this on to him. He or one of his colleagues may be interested.

If only to get rid of the multi ID's and trouble makers on this board, so those that do need assistance and advice can really get help on here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Originally posted by BoardWizard:
    ILW.COM is looking for volunteers to help us moderate the discussion board on our site and participate in conversations with the immigration enthusiasts and mavens who fruitfully contribute to our community. Ideal candidates are immigration attorneys who are pro-immigration but at the same time tolerate anti-immigration activists.

Interested? Please email webmaster@ilw.com for more information.
    Boardwizard,
    This is just another empty promise I am afraid. If you really want to help, then the board as it currently stands will need only immigration law questions with no free speech posts or threads whatsoever. That would be the only way to bring back the forum for those who are seeking assistance and/or advice.

If ILW wants to continue with the free speech discussions, then divide the board out as Davdah has suggested. That is what most boards have done, whether immigration related or not. it does not hamper free speech, but just places such discussion in a more appropiate format while leaving the question and answer immigration section for only those who want to seek help.

There also has to be more scrutiny on the multiple ID's on this board. It only involves a few posters, but these few bad apples has spoiled the rest of the site. This has to be enforced by the owners of this forum, not by the moderators per se.

For moderators, Sprint, Aroha, and Proud would be excellent choices. The criteria for moderators should include those who have gone through the immigration process either as an immigrant, preferred, or as a petitioner to an immigrant. Other criteria should include that the moderators be required to log on a consistent basis, with the exception of family, vacation, or medical leave. There should be enoguh moderators, probably four so that this site is covered and one moderator should be from ILW.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

How can you tell when an immigration forum is in dire straits? When the anti-immigrants have nothing to say. That is certainly the case here and it's not because of the new moderation system.

For the board to get back to some semblance of what it used to be, there needs to be major changes. It will take more than just adding a new moderator or two (frankly, BoardWizard, no self-respecting attorney is going to want their name attached to this place the way it stands!). Davdah and Hudson both had good ideas - split the board, offer a dedicated area for immigration questions, another for discussion, and deal with the multiple ID's.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Issue of multiple ID's should be dealt in two ways.

First, there is an instance where member is forced to register a new ID.

For instance, when member starts a rational discussion that is anti-Neo-Nazi, the Neo-Nazis start to provoke (even register new ID's for the purpose, such as user OldE. with a dot after E and more bizarre ones in past) and cause the victim to respond likewise. Then orchestrated campaign follows where the same perpetrators who stand behind those who provoke the victim get on this board whining and demanding speedy banning of the victim.
    Once banned, victim has no other choice but register a new ID or fulfill the wish of Neo-Nazis by being silenced for good.

So, the instance of forced multiple ID (as a result of orchestrated provocations and actions of Neo-Nazis) must be clearly distinguished from an instance of malicious and simultaneous registration of multiple ID's with the purpose of wreaking a havoc on this board.
    Those who make provocations and subsequently perpetuate a coordinated campaign to ban the victim should be disciplined and not allowed to register alternative ID's to do so.

And whatever direction this board takes, it should stay loyal to principles of Founding Fathers and allow for free speech to flourish instead of trying to appease Neo-Nazis.
    Doing otherwise will doom this board to become another outlet for Hitler worshipers.

Best,

OldE2

P.S. Please feel free to contact me if you need a fair and even handed moderator on this site.

Fair and even handed is calling people neo-nazis because they disagree with you?

Fact is, most real intolerance comes from the left. When they can't argue their point name calling always follows with requests to be silenced. The founding fathers guaranteed free speech because of people who try to brand disagreement as nazism, hitler worship, or taliban extremism attempting to have it dismissed and removed. Once quieted what comes next and is easily done to those who are tagged with such egregious labels?

Regardless, this board is under no obligation to placate to the wishes of any individual group, immigrant or otherwise. At the end of the day it needs to be profitable. To that purpose the direction needs taken.
    This message brought to you by the vast right wing conspiracy.