50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: L1a visa

My parents and I came over in 1998 on the L1a visa and opened a business, employing about 11 people. Last year my dad was denied an extension, so he and my mom had to return home. I stayed to run the business. Won the business of the year award in 2000. I have just applied for another extension and now they have asked for more information. I have snet them everything they need according to my immigration attorney. Is there enything else I can do now? My parents appeal was denied, BCIS said the application was received 1 day late, our immigration attorney sent them proof that the appeal was received in the time stipulated, but still nothing. Its hard to understand that we came over for all the right reasons, did everything rquired of us, and still my parents were refused their extension. Can anyone on the board please give mey any advice on what to do next.

My parents and I came over in 1998 on the L1a visa and opened a business, employing about 11 people. Last year my dad was denied an extension, so he and my mom had to return home. I stayed to run the business. Won the business of the year award in 2000. I have just applied for another extension and now they have asked for more information. I have snet them everything they need according to my immigration attorney. Is there enything else I can do now? My parents appeal was denied, BCIS said the application was received 1 day late, our immigration attorney sent them proof that the appeal was received in the time stipulated, but still nothing. Its hard to understand that we came over for all the right reasons, did everything rquired of us, and still my parents were refused their extension. Can anyone on the board please give mey any advice on what to do next.

Excuse the spelling mistakes, typing fast in a little bit of anger.

nariar-
    i think the L visas are given only for a limited period of time (similar to H, which are usually given for only 6 years). I think the time frame is 5 years. Have you not applied for a green card during all this time?

According to our imm attorney we had to get the extensions for 7 years and then apply for our gc.

nope, you could have applied a year after you had come if your business had been profitable.
    As far as extending beyond the 5th year - I am not sure how the law is there, but if we compare to H status you can get extensions only when you are in processing for green card. Maybe thats why they are denying your extension. Have you tried switching to E1/2 (if you are from a treaty country)?

Thanks Trojan horse, Have no idea what E1/2 is. Sorry for sounding stupid. I am from South Africa

I thought that could have helped you, but I checked the countries under E1 and E2 and unfortunately South Africa was not there. You can actually check for yourself at this website http://www.murthy.com/news/UDevisa.html. Good luck
    PS I truly dont understand how anybody with fake marriages can get green cards, but people who INVEST money in this country and open work places are sent home!

Thank you Trojan Horse, I am now looking at all I can do to get my dad back here, first I have to read the letter they sent referring to different laws etc. Once I understand those, I will find a new imm attorney. I appreciate all you help