50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know youve all been through this a 1000 times....

Hey everyone, Im new to the baord and i just wanted to thanks everyone for thier past posts which ive done a fair bit of research into...

But i was hoping to pick your brains about my own problems....

Im a UKC, married to a USC... I hold Lawful CPR status and have done so for just over a year.

The marriage is / was without a doubt real... I was a cop in England prior to moving with her and she is a serving US cop here. We both live together (and still do) go out together and all the rest of the usual stuff that normal married people do (Since obtaining CPR status we even paid $6000 out of pocket to undergo IVF and try to have a child together - which didnt work)

My question is this...

We are having some pretty serious problems, theres been no cheating whatsoever, no domestic violence or anything of the sort - we simply arent working out with each other... Its like things have changed between us... we are still amicable but weve talked about divorce and i can see it looming.

I understand the process of going through an I-751 waiver etc, but can anyone actually give feedback on what percentage of these good faith waivers are granted... interview expereinces etc..

Even if we divorce i think she would still write a letter stating the marriages valididty, ontop of that i can have letters from neighbours, both her and my work co-workers (all of hers are police officers who i know very well)

I have bank statements in both names showing two seperate paychecks going in every 2 weeks, along with all the bills we pay, print outs from credit reports showing us both at the same address, itemised phone bills showing at least 5-7 calls a day between each other for the last 2 years (just as proof that we do actually speak like a normal couple)

along with take returns... print outs from our joint helthcare showing both of us having healthcare claimes etc... Car + Life insurance, photos and xmas / postal type cards from both parties friends and familys wishing us both a happy new year, thanksgiving etc...

Ive just been hired as a Police officer and am due to start the Academy in the new year... Im obviously of spotless character with no arrests or tickets

What do you think my chances are?, ive got no problems getting an attorney if i need to.

Please write back with any advice or experience... Im sure ill get "why dont you just go back to England replies" - well ive got no problems doing that, but im established here and want to carry on...

thankyou...

Paul

Hey everyone, Im new to the baord and i just wanted to thanks everyone for thier past posts which ive done a fair bit of research into...

But i was hoping to pick your brains about my own problems....

Im a UKC, married to a USC... I hold Lawful CPR status and have done so for just over a year.

The marriage is / was without a doubt real... I was a cop in England prior to moving with her and she is a serving US cop here. We both live together (and still do) go out together and all the rest of the usual stuff that normal married people do (Since obtaining CPR status we even paid $6000 out of pocket to undergo IVF and try to have a child together - which didnt work)

My question is this...

We are having some pretty serious problems, theres been no cheating whatsoever, no domestic violence or anything of the sort - we simply arent working out with each other... Its like things have changed between us... we are still amicable but weve talked about divorce and i can see it looming.

I understand the process of going through an I-751 waiver etc, but can anyone actually give feedback on what percentage of these good faith waivers are granted... interview expereinces etc..

Even if we divorce i think she would still write a letter stating the marriages valididty, ontop of that i can have letters from neighbours, both her and my work co-workers (all of hers are police officers who i know very well)

I have bank statements in both names showing two seperate paychecks going in every 2 weeks, along with all the bills we pay, print outs from credit reports showing us both at the same address, itemised phone bills showing at least 5-7 calls a day between each other for the last 2 years (just as proof that we do actually speak like a normal couple)

along with take returns... print outs from our joint helthcare showing both of us having healthcare claimes etc... Car + Life insurance, photos and xmas / postal type cards from both parties friends and familys wishing us both a happy new year, thanksgiving etc...

Ive just been hired as a Police officer and am due to start the Academy in the new year... Im obviously of spotless character with no arrests or tickets

What do you think my chances are?, ive got no problems getting an attorney if i need to.

Please write back with any advice or experience... Im sure ill get "why dont you just go back to England replies" - well ive got no problems doing that, but im established here and want to carry on...

thankyou...

Paul

Michael
    Why take a chance and go through the hassle of an interview with only 2 years to go? (One year to able to apply for ROC and 1 year processing time)

I know what your saying, and in some ways im tempted... But she's a cop, Ill be a cop by the time an interview comes up (with or without a waiver)

and i REALLY wouldnt want to Lie to them...

That would have pretty serious concequences for both of us.

Michael
    I am not saying to lie ! I am saying just remain married until the conditions are removed. How can you be a cop if you are not a US Citizen? NYC requires US Citizenship and I thought all cities did.

This may be unconventional and would be up to the city that hired you but maybe you can approach your employer about filing an H-1B visa on your behalf.

The H-1B visa while technically a non immigrant visa allows the holder to maintain what is called "duel intent" meaning you can hold the non-immigrant status even though you have demonstrated an intent to immigrate.

Furhtermore if you succeded in getting the H-1B your employer could then pursue permanent residency on your behalf via an employement-based petition. The state of your marriage would then be a non issue.

The problem I see with this is that cities are notoriously inept when it comes to filing employment based immigration petitions. Something about a goverment agency filing with another goverment agency seems to have a polarizing effect on the paperwork. A city also may not qualify for an exemption from the annual H-1B1 cap.

An idea, you may want to consider though, is applying for a job on a university or college police force. You see, most colleges and universities have people on staff who file the H-1B paperwork (I used to be one such individual) AND as employers they are NOT subject to the annual cap.

I thought you could file to remove conditions immediately after divorce, just show the things to prove it was a REAL marriage?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply,

The H1-B wouldnt be a bad idea but if at all possible id like to stay as a PR - as i need that for policey jobs...

Cant i just file the waiver along with a ton and a half of evidence.. i know myself that it is / was a real marriage.. I just wonder how CIS will look at it.

And yep Michael... Most states require Citizenship for law enforcement... but there are 16 that only require permanenet residency... California, Illinois, Colorado, hawaii, Alaska, Ohio, West Virginia to name a few..

there are plans in place for NYPD to drop the citizenship requirement...But for all of them you need PR or CPR status... H1-B wont cut it!

Anyone got any ideas about waivers and thier chances of sucess?

Thanks

Paul

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you have good evidence of a bona fide marriage, where parties intended and did co-mingle their financial and social lives (police work being your professional, you should know what is compelling and not) there shouldn't be a problem. Once you divorce you can file the waiver. I have no statistics to report, but recently even waiver cases are being adjudicated without an interview, if the accompanying documentation sufficiently proves that the intent of marriage was genuine.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

In order to be a law enforcement officer anywhere in the United States, a person must be a U.S. Citizen. The only exception is that a Permanent Resident may apply to become a police officer once they have submitted - and USCIS has accepted - an application for U.S. Citizenship.