1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filed JOINT I-751, separated, about to file for a divorce

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...44#post6976644

Filed JOINT I-751, separated, about to file for a divorce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends,

What would you advice to me in the following situation:

I have been married to my wife for over 2 years now. I have suffered a lot (have couple of police

reports, etc.), but always thought that I should suffer it through until I get my real Green Card

(10-year-green card).

I am holding a conditional Green Card based on marriage. I filed for the JOINT I-751. My wife

wants a divorce now. How should I proceed?

1. Is it better if I file for a divorce myself, before she does (wanted to do it a long time ago)?

2. Should I let her file for a divorce and say "No" at the court, trying to extend the divorce process,

so that I can get the approval of I-751 first?
    2.1 If I get the I-751 approved before divorce will be finalized, will I be safe?
    2.2 What if I get divorce finalized prior to the approval of the I-751? What should I do?

3. Since she moved out of our apartment, do I have to notify USCIS about it now?

4. Does anyone know how long it takes until I get my I-751 approved by Vermost Service Center?

People, I very rely on your help and hope for answers as soon as possible, since she is about to file

for a divorce.

Please help.

My timeline (TODAY's date: Nov/15/2008):

Got Conditional Green Card: Feb/05/2007
    JOINT I-751 was recieved by USCIS (Vermont Service Center): Nov/10/2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friends,

I have been married to my wife for over 2 years now. I have suffered a lot (have couple of police

reports, etc.), but always thought that I should suffer it through until I get my real Green Card

(10-year-green card).

I am holding a conditional Green Card based on marriage. I filed for the JOINT I-751. My wife

1. Is it better if I file for a divorce myself, before she does (wanted to do it a long time ago)?

2. Should I let her file for a divorce and say "No" at the court, trying to extend the divorce process,

2.1 If I get the I-751 approved before divorce will be finalized, will I be safe?
    2.2 What if I get divorce finalized prior to the approval of the I-751? What should I do?

3. Since she moved out of our apartment, do I have to notify USCIS about it now?

4. Does anyone know how long it takes until I get my I-751 approved by Vermost Service Center?

People, I very rely on your help and hope for answers as soon as possible, since she is about to file

for a divorce.

Please help.

JOINT I-751 was recieved by USCIS (Vermont Service Center): Nov/10/2008

ghgfvghbvgvbnvhgvghbvbnjvbnvbnvbn!!!!!!!!!!!!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NewYorker:

Friends,

(10-year-green card).

for a divorce.

Please help.

JOINT I-751 was recieved by USCIS (Vermont Service Center): Nov/10/2008 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi New Yorker,

Just make sure you have alot of proof that your marriage was valid. USCIS isn't as forgiving as it once was since there's so much marriage fraud. If you have alot of proof that your marriage was real, you should be okay.

There's a couple of changes in the I-751 system which might affect you NewYorker, starting from 2004:

Effect of separation/divorce on pending I-751 petitions
    Although this came from the NE Service Center, I believe they all require these procedures now.

And a newer one from 2006:

Potential Denial with No Interview for Removal of Conditions
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

By the way,you don't have to notify USCIS that your wife moved out of the apartment that you both shared together...I was a conditional resident my self,and my wife divorced me and I didn't really have a lot of joint documents to submit with my application as proof,just a few joint phones bills,and two police reports and email correspondence between us both and phone records.I actually filed single on my tax return statement,but had amended it later on to married but filing separately,and had submitted a letter from a physician that explained that I suffered depression brought about by strain in our relationship,etc and a transcript detailing the court proceedings when we were in matrimonial court and the divorce decree,and that was it,and it was just recently my application got approved,after I was interviewed at Federal Plaza in the same Month.

In my case, I bought the divorce proceedings because she had moved out and was supposed to file but never did, trying to drag it out. It will have no effect who files for the divorce first. I filed I-751 in 2003 before the new procedures came into effect.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

If the divorce comes thru before your I-751 application is approved,then you will have to re submit the application again and pay a separate fee.

And another thing again,my application was processed over in Vermont and it took one-year from the date it was submitted to the date that I was interview,then the same Month that I got interview,my application was approved.

I think that you should contest the divorce so that you have ample time to have your application approved,I had contested my divorce because most of the stuff that my ex wife used against me in the divorce papers were not true,and she was trying to have me deported stating that I treated her cruely.