free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Derived Citizenship

Hi,

I have just gotten my US Citizenship and my daugther is 18 years and 4 months old. My question is that is it possible for her to apply for US passport as a derived citizen?

Thanks!

Fasoh

Hi,

I have just gotten my US Citizenship and my daugther is 18 years and 4 months old. My question is that is it possible for her to apply for US passport as a derived citizen?

Thanks!

Fasoh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fasoh:
    Hi,

Thanks!

Fasoh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How Did You Get Your Citizenship??? Details?
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Hi,

I (and wife) got the citizenship through Naturalization. My 18+ child is living with me (and my wife) since birth. She is a permanent residence at the moment.

She qualifies for derived citizenship except for the fact that she is 18+. Is there a way that she doesn't have to go through the N-400 application etc.

I have called the US passport agency and one person said she is eligible for a US passport as long as we get a notorized letter stating that she has been staying with us, but another one said no. Who is right?

Thanks!

Fasoh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fasoh:
    Hi,

I got the citizenship through Naturalization. My 18+ child is living with me (and my wife since birth). She is a permanent residence at the moment.

She qualifies for derived citizenship except for the fact that she is 18+. Is there a way that she doesn't have to go through the N-400 application etc.

Thanks!

Fasoh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fasoh,

Short Answers Leave Too Much To The Imagination! Noone Knows Who you Are! Or Even Cares!!! Put A Little Bit Of Youself And Your Situation Into Your Posts!!!! If You seek accurate Answers For You To Work With, You Must Provide Details!!!! Open Forum Here!!! You Are Just 1 Of Thousands!!! Details Get Results!!!! Tell Your Story!
    USC and Legal, Honest Immigrant Alike Must Fight Against Those That Deceive and Disrupt A Place Of Desirability! All Are Victims of Fraud, Both USC and Honest Immigrant Alike! The bad can and does make it more difficult for the good! Be careful who y

Hi,

I (and wife) got the citizenship through Naturalization. My 18+ child is living with me (and my wife) since birth. She is a permanent residence at the moment.

I have called the US passport agency and one person said she is eligible for a US passport as long as we get a notorized letter stating that she has been staying with us, but another one said no. Who is right?

Thanks!

Fasoh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I can't believe you can't get one simple answer after so many replies.

The simple answer is that it would depend if she was under 18 at the time you took the Oath.If you or your wife were U.S citizens before she turned 18 & having permanently[think green card] resided in the country she would be eligible for a US passport.The timing of your oath ceremenony is key along with her age at that particular time.

The Reply s Came within 2 Hours. given The time Zone possibilities, And The Off line Lives Of Many. "real life". Come Back tomorrow!

Hi,

I got it. We took our Oath yesterday and our daugther is already 18+. Thanks for all your replies.

One last question, my wife is very keen of giving it a try that is to go ahead to apply for her US passport (as the first person in the US passport agency has said that it is OK), but I disagreed. Anyway, if she were to apply and gets her US passport would it be consider cheating? and what would be the consequences? I don't want to destroy her chance of staying in the US!

Thanks!

Fasoh

Fasoh,You have a good instinct for disagreeing.Most people in the State department or Immigration don't know what they are talking about hence why you're asking the questions on this board.

The consequences would be severe if your wife were to apply for that passport,which I'll explain.The law that the State Dept. is talking about concerning that is so called "OK" to apply for is called the Child Citizenship act which applies to biological & adopted children would give automatic Citizenship to those children who have permanent residency status & Parents whom have U.S. citizenship.A child or minor is defined as one who is under the age of 18 so your daughter doesn't fit that description hence why she has to wait through normal means to apply for Naturalization on her own.

Now onto the consequences,In 1996 part of an immigration package that passed called,"Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996" has very harsh language that deals with people who falsely claim U.S. citizenship,specifically "non-citizens".Permanent residents or Green card holders are also classed as "non-citizens" & if caught claiming to be U.S. citizens can be deported & permanently barred from the country & there are also NO WAIVERS.Basically,if your wife were to send in an application for a U.S. Passport it could also be interpreted as your daughter claiming U.S. citizenship & she could face those same consequences.

You can find a copy of the US state dept. memorandum here.