free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I-864 and Divorce?

I was married in May of 2005 and probably signed an I-864 document in the fall of 2004.

After less than 2 years of marriage my Russian wife and I are getting a divorce. I really believe she just used me to get to America. She is wanting support using the I-864 as the foundation of her case.

Here are the details: She is has Masters Degree in Civil Engineering (from Russia) has worked part time by choice in an English only enviroment in my city for almost 2 years. She has taken private English tutoring classes for the 2 years she has been in America and for 1 or 2 years in Russia before she came.

We are located in the heart of natural gas and oil shale development in Colorado and our unemployment rate is super low at 2.8%. Local businesses are begging for workers. Anybody that can walk and chew gum at the same time can get a job in our community.

She continues to only work part time because she knows if she get a full time job, she will make too much money to quality for support under the I-864 guidelines.

Can she basically sit on her butt and refuse to get a full time job and demand support under I-864? I think she think since I signed the I-864 form that is guarantees her retirement for the next 10 years with no obligation on her part! We haven't went before the divorce court Judge yet, but I am sure they won't have much experience in this type of thing. Does anybody know of any divorce court cases similar to this situation?

I would sincerely appreciate any information or documentation on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

I was married in May of 2005 and probably signed an I-864 document in the fall of 2004.

After less than 2 years of marriage my Russian wife and I are getting a divorce. I really believe she just used me to get to America. She is wanting support using the I-864 as the foundation of her case.

Here are the details: She is has Masters Degree in Civil Engineering (from Russia) has worked part time by choice in an English only enviroment in my city for almost 2 years. She has taken private English tutoring classes for the 2 years she has been in America and for 1 or 2 years in Russia before she came.

We are located in the heart of natural gas and oil shale development in Colorado and our unemployment rate is super low at 2.8%. Local businesses are begging for workers. Anybody that can walk and chew gum at the same time can get a job in our community.

She continues to only work part time because she knows if she get a full time job, she will make too much money to quality for support under the I-864 guidelines.

Can she basically sit on her butt and refuse to get a full time job and demand support under I-864? I think she think since I signed the I-864 form that is guarantees her retirement for the next 10 years with no obligation on her part! We haven't went before the divorce court Judge yet, but I am sure they won't have much experience in this type of thing. Does anybody know of any divorce court cases similar to this situation?

I would sincerely appreciate any information or documentation on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

Less than two years of marriage, her conditions aren't removed, right? I'd go the marriage fraud route and absolve yourself of this albatros! I believe many in your situation file for annulments - she doesn't deserve another dime from you!

It's a hopeless case.

God bless Iraq, Iran and Afghanistan!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
    Less than two years of marriage, her conditions aren't removed, right? I'd go the marriage fraud route and absolve yourself of this albatros! I believe many in your situation file for annulments - she doesn't deserve another dime from you! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for you comments. No her conditions are not removed, she still has to try to get her Permanent Green Card.

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LJBRIGHT:
    Thanks for you comments. No her conditions are not removed, she still has to try to get her Permanent Green Card.

Thanks again! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not an expert by no means- but if you would withdraw your petition for her, wouldn't that take care of your problem?
    I don't need to tell you not to file jointly for the removal of the conditions, but I would really think, that if you withdrew the petition you would automatically revoke the affidavit of support.
    But maybe some others here who really know something about the law could help.
    Good luck

Thanks that is one option I am considering!

How can he withdraw the petition if the petition has been granted? even with divorce you are still responsible for support under the I-864. If you get divorce before she has to remove the conditions, then she will do it by herself as a waiver petition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LJBRIGHT:
    ... she will make too much money to quality for support under the I-864 guidelines. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Where did you get that from? I-864 is a contract between you and the government that she wan't be on federal assistance. It is not about spousal support/alimony or the money you have to pay to her if you divorce. From the information you provided, she is capable of supporting herself; so that should be your argument.

However, some ex-sposes went to court and sued to get money that "belongs" to them under I-864. In a very few cases judge sided with them.

If you think she is counting on that, find the cases and learn why judge made that decision... so you are better prepared.

Good luck