50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: need help

i would like to know if 5 months and 3 weeks outside the US considered 6 months? thank you in advance, hope someone can enlighten me.

i would like to know if 5 months and 3 weeks outside the US considered 6 months? thank you in advance, hope someone can enlighten me.

What you are asking is how long you can stay out. Well, six months or five months and three weeks are the same for CBP. They may place you in removal proceedings or send you for a deferred inspection to examine the facts about where you actually live, as they call it, your primary place of abode. If you have a history of being outside for long periods, including those close to six months be prepared.

i have a 2 trips outside the US 5mos & 3 weeks vacation 2007 5mos & 3 weeks study& vacation 2010 does it mean ive already break my continous residence? im planning to apply for naturalization this coming year will there be a problem ? what steps do i need to do. need help .

The physical presence requirement is 30 months out of the qualifying 5yrs. Trips less than 6 months out of the USA don't count towards the continuous residency requirement:

USCIS - Guide to Naturalization
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

All time outside the US count. If you go out for education, that may be taken as abandoning your primary place of abode. But one trip only in the last few years should not matter, provided you are not hiding any other travel.

If you want to be pedantic about it then yes all trips more than 24hrs outside the US count for the purpose of Naturalization, however only trips of more than 6 months duration won't meet the Naturalization requirements.

You will have to list all trips (more than 24hrs) with exact dates outside the US on the N-400 form.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

thank you for all your help i really appreciate it , keep it up .... thumbs up