50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Unfit Father

I met and married my husband because I was expecting and had an illegal status in the country. We are due for an interview (green card) this April but we are not going because he is blackmailing me and has used his sponsorship to verbally and emotionally abuse me. I want out of this marriage and to take my son back to my birth country. He has continously denied our son (4months) because of a condition he was born with, has never spent more that a 100 dollars on himd or even visit him. Since he is an American born citizen, he claims that he won't let me take my son out of the country and will fight me,,,do I have a fighting chance? especially since he has never supported him from the start? I mean I'm the one who stays up all night with him, I buy diapers, formula and clothing, is it possibly the could give him the baby? I'm illegal and will not have a job as of June and unlike most immigrants, I want to leave. I'm a college graduate and come from a country that is thriving economically.

I met and married my husband because I was expecting and had an illegal status in the country. We are due for an interview (green card) this April but we are not going because he is blackmailing me and has used his sponsorship to verbally and emotionally abuse me. I want out of this marriage and to take my son back to my birth country. He has continously denied our son (4months) because of a condition he was born with, has never spent more that a 100 dollars on himd or even visit him. Since he is an American born citizen, he claims that he won't let me take my son out of the country and will fight me,,,do I have a fighting chance? especially since he has never supported him from the start? I mean I'm the one who stays up all night with him, I buy diapers, formula and clothing, is it possibly the could give him the baby? I'm illegal and will not have a job as of June and unlike most immigrants, I want to leave. I'm a college graduate and come from a country that is thriving economically.

Zandi,
    I'm sorry to hear of your predicament. If your child was born here and if his father is a USC, you will need the father's permission to remove the child from the country. I suggest you see a qualified marriage counselor to work out your problems with your husband because you are going to need to be on good terms with him, whether you choose to stay with him or not for the sake of the child.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zandi:
    I met and married my husband because I was expecting and had an illegal status in the country. We are due for an interview (green card) this April but we are not going because he is blackmailing me and has used his sponsorship to verbally and emotionally abuse me. I want out of this marriage and to take my son back to my birth country. He has continously denied our son (4months) because of a condition he was born with, has never spent more that a 100 dollars on himd or even visit him. Since he is an American born citizen, he claims that he won't let me take my son out of the country and will fight me,,,do I have a fighting chance? especially since he has never supported him from the start? I mean I'm the one who stays up all night with him, I buy diapers, formula and clothing, is it possibly the could give him the baby? I'm illegal and will not have a job as of June and unlike most immigrants, I want to leave. I'm a college graduate and come from a country that is thriving economically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depending ob which state you live in, it will be tough to impossible to take your child away from the country, especially if your country is not a signatory to the Hggue convention. It also looks like no custody decision has been made' in which case a good lawyer can drag the case on for years while you are out of status.

Of on the other hand, you go back to family court after having had sole custody of your child (a highly improbable scenario) then you might be able to persuade the judge (if you live in a state like Oklahoma) but overall the chances are slim to none.

The child is a US citizen. Keep that in mind before you take it away.

Disclaimer: I am a US citizen who was in the same situation, except that I am the father,. Claims of child abuse were made against me. Less than a year later, I have sole legal custody and majority physical custody of my son.