free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Did not bring Form I-134 to interview with Immigration Service Officer

Hi,

I was among those randomly selected for further processing in the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) program for the fiscal year 2010. Since I currently reside in the U.S., I filed Form I-485 ("Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status"). Upon having my biometrics taken, I had an interview with an Immigration Service Officer at a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. Because of a misunderstanding, I failed to bring to this interview an original Form I-134 ("Affidavit of Support") from a sponsor. Please note that my parents and sibling recently became U.S. citizens and are willing and able to be sponsors.

At the end of the interview, I asked the Immigration Service Officer if I can provide Form I-134 after the fact and he answered no. He made it sound as though a person gets only one chance at an interview with an Immigration Service Officer. He gave me a sheet of paper that had the following ticked off:

"Your case is being held for file review to prepare a decision. You will be advised by mail as to a decision on your application. No additional information is necessary from you at this time, however, if upon further review, additional information or evidence is required, you will receive notice in the mail. Please respond to any request in a timely manner. Failure to do so will result in denial of your application Please allow 60 days from today's date before making an inquiry on your case."

Questions:
    1. Is there a way I can provide Form I-134 after the fact? If so, how?
    2. If my application is denied, can I appeal the decision? If so, what are the chances of winning such an appeal and still finish adjusting my status before the DV program for fiscal year 2010 ends?

Thank you in advance for all your time and assistance.

Best,
    LostAndScared

Hi,

I was among those randomly selected for further processing in the Diversity Immigrant Visa (DV) program for the fiscal year 2010. Since I currently reside in the U.S., I filed Form I-485 ("Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status"). Upon having my biometrics taken, I had an interview with an Immigration Service Officer at a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. Because of a misunderstanding, I failed to bring to this interview an original Form I-134 ("Affidavit of Support") from a sponsor. Please note that my parents and sibling recently became U.S. citizens and are willing and able to be sponsors.

At the end of the interview, I asked the Immigration Service Officer if I can provide Form I-134 after the fact and he answered no. He made it sound as though a person gets only one chance at an interview with an Immigration Service Officer. He gave me a sheet of paper that had the following ticked off:

"Your case is being held for file review to prepare a decision. You will be advised by mail as to a decision on your application. No additional information is necessary from you at this time, however, if upon further review, additional information or evidence is required, you will receive notice in the mail. Please respond to any request in a timely manner. Failure to do so will result in denial of your application Please allow 60 days from today's date before making an inquiry on your case."

Questions:
    1. Is there a way I can provide Form I-134 after the fact? If so, how?
    2. If my application is denied, can I appeal the decision? If so, what are the chances of winning such an appeal and still finish adjusting my status before the DV program for fiscal year 2010 ends?

Thank you in advance for all your time and assistance.

Best,
    LostAndScared

Do you currently have a job? How much do you make?

If the I-134 is required, I'd be surprised if USCIS denies it without giving you the opportunity to provide it to them.

Hi Mrs. Mani,

No, I do not currently have a job. Nevertheless, my parents and sibling, who recently became U.S. citizens, are willing and able to be sponsors.

Best,
    LostAndScared

You do not need I-134 for DV visa. DV is a lottery and you do not need to sponsor to win it.

Hi Tak,

After today's interview with an Immigration Service Officer, I assure you that Form I-134 is indeed needed.

Best,
    LostAndScared

I was incorrect. You need I-134. You should get it from a USC or LPR.

You should be afforded the chance to give the I-134. If they deny, you can appeal and ask for it to be expedited b/c of the impending expiration of DV.

Hi Mrs. Mani,

Thank you for the information and glimmer of hope.

Best,
    LostAndScared

LostandScared,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you best of luck on your case!