publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Reasons to deny adjustment of status.

I know there are probably a slew of reasons to deny an adjustment of status. My husband and I are going for our first interview in about a month. Before we turned in our paperwork, he had been working illegally with a false social security number. He entered legally. Though he didn't use it for any other purposes, using it period is bad enough. Is this something an immigration officer is likely to deny the adjustment? Aside from that he hasn't received a work permit, but managed to get an interview date within 6 months. So we thought that maybe they had concluded that he would be denied and a fast interview date would get him removed faster. Any thoughts about the false social security number use? We are working to clear this all up, so any suggestions would be nice too (no side comments from the peanut gallery though, thanks).

I know there are probably a slew of reasons to deny an adjustment of status. My husband and I are going for our first interview in about a month. Before we turned in our paperwork, he had been working illegally with a false social security number. He entered legally. Though he didn't use it for any other purposes, using it period is bad enough. Is this something an immigration officer is likely to deny the adjustment? Aside from that he hasn't received a work permit, but managed to get an interview date within 6 months. So we thought that maybe they had concluded that he would be denied and a fast interview date would get him removed faster. Any thoughts about the false social security number use? We are working to clear this all up, so any suggestions would be nice too (no side comments from the peanut gallery though, thanks).

The question about his illegal employment depends on whether you're a USC or not. If you're a U.S. citizen his work without authorization will be pardoned by the CIS. I guess if you got an interview date that fast you a USC. I wouldn't disclose the details of working illegally like false SSN if not asked.

On the adjustment interview an interviewing officer is looking for the validity of your marriage that made him eligible to adjust status thus questions about how and where you met, how long you dated, if you have a common household, whether or not you have joint assets like credit/bank accounts, leases, deeds, rents, how well he knows your family members, etc. Bring as many evidence of the above as you can. The rule of thumb is that you can't have too much evidence.

Cheers.

Michael
    Why are you married to a criminal?

Thanks Sup. Is there a chance that the clearance check will come back indicating that he used a false social security number? Any ideas on how to start cleaning this off the record? Also, I want to file taxes, so I assume we should use the alien registration number instead of the false social security number, any suggestions?

"Poor children!

Long is the path that leads to wisdom..

Short is the sight of your eyes!'

So said Lau Tzun, in his 'Book of Reflections' ( DO not confuse with Lao Tze, author of Dao De Dzin!)

if you are a usc,then his illegal working will be pardoned,but as for the illegal ssn,i am not sure.
    dont worry if your interview came fast
    we sent our aos oct 2004
    got my ead jan 2005
    got my aos march 2nd
    passed the aos interview and was in there less than 5 mins
    so dont worry

betsimon, could you share with those of us who are yet to go through the AOS interview, what questions were you asked?
    Thank you

The simplest answer is:

Anyone who is deportable or inadmissible will have his/her AOS application denied.

See Sections 212, 237, 238 of Title 8 INA for details.