Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Affidavit of Support question

Hello,
    My fiancee (US citizen) and I (currently under OPT) are gonna get married pretty soon, and gonna apply for PR to adjust my status.
    My fiancee cannot be the sponsor since her income is less than 125% of the poverty level. However, my income is above 125% of the poverty level. My question is can I use my income to meet the requirement of 125% above the poverty level or I need a co-sponsor?
    Thank you

Hello,
    My fiancee (US citizen) and I (currently under OPT) are gonna get married pretty soon, and gonna apply for PR to adjust my status.
    My fiancee cannot be the sponsor since her income is less than 125% of the poverty level. However, my income is above 125% of the poverty level. My question is can I use my income to meet the requirement of 125% above the poverty level or I need a co-sponsor?
    Thank you

Hello davdah,
    Thank you for your reply. What proof do I need to provide? In my case, I don't need a co-sponsor, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stlie:
    Hello davdah,
    Thank you for your reply. What proof do I need to provide? In my case, I don't need a co-sponsor, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you currently work in the US..
    you need at least 2 to 3 years of your Income
    tax return and W2

I just read Form I-864 (affidavit of support form) and it said that the intending immigrant income can be used to meed the requirement for affidavit of support. It also said to be eligible, the intending immigrant income must continue from the same source after he/she obtains lawful permanent status.
    When will I be able to change a job? If after I get granted for PR and my spouse income meets the requirement, do I still need have income from the same source?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stlie:
    I just read Form I-864 (affidavit of support form) and it said that the intending immigrant income can be used to meed the requirement for affidavit of support. It also said to be eligible, the intending immigrant income must continue from the same source after he/she obtains lawful permanent status.
    When will I be able to change a job? If after I get granted for PR and my spouse income meets the requirement, do I still need have income from the same source? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They mean't your husband support.
    He still will need to sign an affidavit of support for you,(regardless of your income) your's is a supplement since his income is below the poverty line.

If you're legally in a working status in the US.
    You need a copy of 2 to 3 years of your income tax return and W2 and a letter of recomendation
    from your company describing your job, salary and how long you worked for your company.

Isn't the OP here in the US already, working under the OPT?
    I think what he means is can he use his income from the OPT work he is doing here?

Does your fiancee have any assets, house etc? I believe you can still use the sponsor's assets to make it above the poverty level if she does not earn enough.
    Just a thought.

Another option would be if any of her immediate family co-sponsor you?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Hi sprint!..how are you?
    "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Hey Caribbeanman
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Hi sprint...

Hmm was wondering what's OPT?
    was about to think OFF LIMITS lol