50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: PLEASE HELP!! Joint Sponsor (brother-in-law) who files jointly

PLEASE HELP! I can't find the answer to this question anywhere.

I'm the U.S. citizen trying to get the IV for my husband. We both live out of the country so my brother will be his joint sponsor.

However, my brother files taxes jointly with his wife. Together they meet the poverty guidelines, but alone, he doesn't.

Can he still be the joint sponsor?
    Do they both have to be joint sponsors?
    Do they both have to fill out I-864s?

Thanks very much to anyone who can help as our 3rd attempt interview is next Wednesday!!

I'm the U.S. citizen trying to get the IV for my husband. We both live out of the country so my brother will be his joint sponsor.

However, my brother files taxes jointly with his wife. Together they meet the poverty guidelines, but alone, he doesn't.

Thanks very much to anyone who can help as our 3rd attempt interview is next Wednesday!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sharhim:

You will be a co-sponsor as well?

Yes, he can be a joint sponsor with someone else who will use their income as part of the consideration.

No.

No, but USCIS will consider that he is married and that he has other dependants. The wife will not co-sponsor, she will be viewed as a dependant. The brother needs someone else to sponsor (possibly you the USC) who is willing to use their income to bring up the brothers income over poverty guidelines. The sponsorship will not be approved if his income is below standards for poverty. Get an additional person to sponsor with the brother. That person will have to fill out the affidavit for support as a joint sponsor.

Thanks very much to anyone who can help as our 3rd attempt interview is next Wednesday!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks so much.

I did fill out an I-864, but I don't live in the U.S. yet and don't have a job there. I do have a pension coming that would meet more than half of the poverty guidelines. Would they consider that?

Yes, they will consider a pension as income.

Thanks for your replies.

I was told by the Embassy that they can use their joint income together and one of them can fill out an I-864A.

I guess most know that but the instructions are fairly confusing when you're s t r e s s e d!

:-) Thanks again Everyone

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sharhim:
    Thanks for your replies.

I was told by the Embassy that they can use their joint income together and one of them can fill out an I-864A.

I guess most know that but the instructions are fairly confusing when you're s t r e s s e d!

:-) Thanks again Everyone </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is correct, the primary sponsor completes the I864, the additional sponsor (additional person's income if primary's income is insufficient) completes the I864A.