free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Questions regarding US Citizenship Please Help. Thanks

Hello Friends,
    First of all let me begin by saying thank you so much for reading my post. Well it has been a while since I last posted my questions (they were all regarding my green card problems) Anyway time flies and I guess here I am jumping in USCIS's fire AGAIN. My story I am an Indian citizen married to a USC. We currently live in Philly PA and will be moving to northern VA. I got my green card because I am married to a USC. I came to the US on a F1 (Student Visa). On June 1st 2008 my official address will be of VA. We are moving to VA because my wife has got a great promotion in her company which means I am leaving my job in PA (this is my last month oh well did not like my job anyway time to get a new one in a new place). I am detailing some important dates for your reference so you guys can guide me, give me your opinions and best suggestions so I have an accurate picture of what I will be dealing with in the coming months.
    I applied for my green card in 2002 but I got my green card in 2005 I was caught in that never ending investigation called name check by the FBI. I contacted my Senator, FBI and USCIS a million times and still there were no results and finally I took the help of my local congressman and he made it all possible and I was so glad that it was over. Can't believe I have to go through it AGAIN and this time I don't even have my congressman to help since we are moving to VA. There are couple of questions I have before I jump in the fire:
    1) When do I become eligible to apply for citizenship? 2) If I am eligible to apply in June 2008 is it okay to be unemployed and apply for citizenship? (Of course my top priority is to get a job in VA but at least can I apply? Or job is a must? 4) What office I would be dealing with? What service center? Currently my file is in Philly PA as I got my green card in Philly.5) what is the Min and Max time for processing citizenship paperwork these days in VA? 6) Do you guys recommend I hire a lawyer? If so who? Can you guys please give me phone # of a good lawyer in VA area? 7) Me and my wife are planning to go to India in June/July 2009 can we go with my pending citizenship? Or I can't leave the US? I guess that is about it for now. Sorry for my long post and too many questions I really apologize. Once again thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer my posting I really appreciate it. Thanks have a great day and GOD BLESS.

Raju
    My Green Card Dates:
    US Resident Since: 08/05/05 Card Expires: 08/23/15

Hello Friends,
    First of all let me begin by saying thank you so much for reading my post. Well it has been a while since I last posted my questions (they were all regarding my green card problems) Anyway time flies and I guess here I am jumping in USCIS's fire AGAIN. My story I am an Indian citizen married to a USC. We currently live in Philly PA and will be moving to northern VA. I got my green card because I am married to a USC. I came to the US on a F1 (Student Visa). On June 1st 2008 my official address will be of VA. We are moving to VA because my wife has got a great promotion in her company which means I am leaving my job in PA (this is my last month oh well did not like my job anyway time to get a new one in a new place). I am detailing some important dates for your reference so you guys can guide me, give me your opinions and best suggestions so I have an accurate picture of what I will be dealing with in the coming months.
    I applied for my green card in 2002 but I got my green card in 2005 I was caught in that never ending investigation called name check by the FBI. I contacted my Senator, FBI and USCIS a million times and still there were no results and finally I took the help of my local congressman and he made it all possible and I was so glad that it was over. Can't believe I have to go through it AGAIN and this time I don't even have my congressman to help since we are moving to VA. There are couple of questions I have before I jump in the fire:
    1) When do I become eligible to apply for citizenship? 2) If I am eligible to apply in June 2008 is it okay to be unemployed and apply for citizenship? (Of course my top priority is to get a job in VA but at least can I apply? Or job is a must? 4) What office I would be dealing with? What service center? Currently my file is in Philly PA as I got my green card in Philly.5) what is the Min and Max time for processing citizenship paperwork these days in VA? 6) Do you guys recommend I hire a lawyer? If so who? Can you guys please give me phone # of a good lawyer in VA area? 7) Me and my wife are planning to go to India in June/July 2009 can we go with my pending citizenship? Or I can't leave the US? I guess that is about it for now. Sorry for my long post and too many questions I really apologize. Once again thank you so much for taking the time to read and answer my posting I really appreciate it. Thanks have a great day and GOD BLESS.

Raju
    My Green Card Dates:
    US Resident Since: 08/05/05 Card Expires: 08/23/15

Hi Raju,

You can apply for citizenship after 3 years of being married to a USC (actually, I think you can apply 90 days prior to the 3 year mark). I don't know the answers to your other questions, but hopefully some others here can help. Good luck!

You received your Alien Permanent Residence Card (Form I-551) issued to you on August 05, 2005 valid until August 23, 2015.
    During this period how many times from August 05, 2005 to as of todate visited India and for how many months.
    You will have the date of arrival and date of Entry in your Indian passport.

Check this.
    You can file for Citizenship as per ProudUSC
    Since you are moving to Virginia, by the end of this month, first of all you will need to change your address within ten days of your move, according to the Laws.
    Before you can file N-400 for your citizenship, you must be a residence of uscis District office, which has Jurisdiction over your place of residence. You must be a residence of that area for last six months.

Now you have to look into the matter of your absence from the U.S.
    Aug.05, 2005 to April 2, 2008 so far you have been a resident of U.S. for:
    Year------Months------days.
    ..2..........7.........27 as Alien Resident of U.S.
    Now Minus period of time you visited India from the above. that will be the total time you have spent in U.S..

Hopefully other members will comments as well.