free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: How long to wait for naturalization

Hi everybody,

I've been in the US since Jan. '03 and got married in Nov. '04. I got a job offer from the Corps of Engineers and they accept me as temporary as long as I keep going to school. After I graduate they want o hire me as a perm but I have to be a USC in order to be hired. I read the guide to naturalization and I was wondering which requirement will apply to me since the Corps of Engineers belongs to the fed. gov. I would be employed by the fed. gov. And the requirement for fed. gov. is fove years as a permanent resident and based on marriage is three years. So which one will they go by??
    I appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks,
    KM

Hi everybody,

I've been in the US since Jan. '03 and got married in Nov. '04. I got a job offer from the Corps of Engineers and they accept me as temporary as long as I keep going to school. After I graduate they want o hire me as a perm but I have to be a USC in order to be hired. I read the guide to naturalization and I was wondering which requirement will apply to me since the Corps of Engineers belongs to the fed. gov. I would be employed by the fed. gov. And the requirement for fed. gov. is fove years as a permanent resident and based on marriage is three years. So which one will they go by??
    I appreciate any help and suggestions.

Thanks,
    KM

KM,

5 years and 3 years requirements you are referring to are the usual requirements to be a USC.

What you need to do is first to apply for green card. Since you were married in nov-04, you will get a 10-year gc if you are interviewed and approved for the green card. This process can take anywhere from 6 months to more than 3 years.

Once you become permanent resident, you will have to wait 2 years and 7 months before you can apply for naturalization, asuming you are still married to the same USC. After application for naturalization, you can count at least another 6 months to be interviewed and hopefully become USC.
    This is the regular process for someone in your situation. Under certain circumstances, you can go through it faster. For instance, if your wife works for the Federal government overseas or if you join the army. I suggest you read the documentation (guide to naturalization, which you can obtain by cliking on "Learn about US Citizenship" at this link http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis) for more information.

Good luck.
    Kumna