free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: N-400 Good Moral Character - pay Child Support

N-400 Good Moral Character - pay Child Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 question about Good Moral Character - paying Child Support

Hi, everyone, I am going to apply N-400 next month. I am looking at one question in section Good Moral Character:"Have you ever failed to pay dependents(child support)?"

I divorced 5 years ago. We filed divorce agreement to Divorce Court in June 2000, the agreement says I started paying from June 2000, but the final divorce order was issued in August 2000. for June, July, Aug I paid personal checks directly to ex wife, but since the divorce order number was not available untill August, the local County Child Support Enforcement Agency didn't have records for my direct payments before August. So they filed a late payment/defult notice to me few months later. I requested and showed up at the hearing court, my ex said to county prosecutor that I paid her all amount directly, so the county prosecutor wrote a written statement saying that my payment was CURRENT which means it's not late payment, it's not default, all balance were paid. And supposedly, they should have corrected the record on my account.

Side Note:
    -One or two months after August, a account was setup in computer system to deduct monthly payment from my salary account, so everything got a record.
    -I don't have to pay alimony to ex wife since she was also working

My question is:
    Should I NOT mention it at all? since I have the court hearing result as innocent?
    or
    Should I mention it and then prepare an full explaination to the interview officer?

Which way is better?

if I check "YES" on application, I am blemish myself, the actual answer is "NO;
    if I check "NO" on application, what if interview officer find it out and blame me lying under oath? could he deny my application?

Does anybody have similar experience before? How badly could child support issue impact my N-400 as a componet of Good Moral Character?

I am depending on this N-400 to bring a wife from my home country to america.

Thank you very much for your insights and opinions,

Confused,

Dream_Chaser

N-400 Good Moral Character - pay Child Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

N-400 question about Good Moral Character - paying Child Support

Hi, everyone, I am going to apply N-400 next month. I am looking at one question in section Good Moral Character:"Have you ever failed to pay dependents(child support)?"

I divorced 5 years ago. We filed divorce agreement to Divorce Court in June 2000, the agreement says I started paying from June 2000, but the final divorce order was issued in August 2000. for June, July, Aug I paid personal checks directly to ex wife, but since the divorce order number was not available untill August, the local County Child Support Enforcement Agency didn't have records for my direct payments before August. So they filed a late payment/defult notice to me few months later. I requested and showed up at the hearing court, my ex said to county prosecutor that I paid her all amount directly, so the county prosecutor wrote a written statement saying that my payment was CURRENT which means it's not late payment, it's not default, all balance were paid. And supposedly, they should have corrected the record on my account.

Side Note:
    -One or two months after August, a account was setup in computer system to deduct monthly payment from my salary account, so everything got a record.
    -I don't have to pay alimony to ex wife since she was also working

My question is:
    Should I NOT mention it at all? since I have the court hearing result as innocent?
    or
    Should I mention it and then prepare an full explaination to the interview officer?

Which way is better?

if I check "YES" on application, I am blemish myself, the actual answer is "NO;
    if I check "NO" on application, what if interview officer find it out and blame me lying under oath? could he deny my application?

Does anybody have similar experience before? How badly could child support issue impact my N-400 as a componet of Good Moral Character?

I am depending on this N-400 to bring a wife from my home country to america.

Thank you very much for your insights and opinions,

Confused,

Dream_Chaser

IMO, this is pretty similar to the "cited/detained by an officer" questions in N400. Many people have received speeding ticket, which in turn was expunged from their record as a result of plea deal, taking driver's ed, etc, and faced the same dillema.
    Personally, I would rather checked "YES" and attached a detailed explanation of what actually happened. It might cause a bit more delay, but it much better than trying to explain it later if USCIS does find out. Of course others may prefer to not disturbed a sleeping lion.

thanks for your replies, folks.

Lani, could you please tell me a little more about the case your hubby failed to pay the child support?

1. Did he check "No" on "failed to pay child support" on N-400, and then got found out by USCIS?
    2. How many times was he late on payments? how much money involved?
    3. Could he justify he wasn't late on payment with a court hearing result? I can show court hearing decision that I was NOT late payment or fail to pay.

Lani, I earnestly want to know more about your husband case, which will shed some lights on me.
    You may post your answer here or email me at lxdbn15@yahoo.com

thanks in advance!

Dream_Chaser