free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divorce and I751, help

I came USA as a F1 visa in 2003. I married USA citizen in 2004. I got the conditional green card in last Oct. We live in different state, he lives in Minnesota, I lives in Michigan because I did not finish my school yet. He ask for a divorce in Jan.2006. I have not joint lease and joint bank statment. the tax return is married file seperately because different state and I am a student.

What should I do?

I came USA as a F1 visa in 2003. I married USA citizen in 2004. I got the conditional green card in last Oct. We live in different state, he lives in Minnesota, I lives in Michigan because I did not finish my school yet. He ask for a divorce in Jan.2006. I have not joint lease and joint bank statment. the tax return is married file seperately because different state and I am a student.

What should I do?

get ready togo home....you havent been married long enough.

Consult an immigration attorney. It isn't so much the length of the marriage that has bearing, but the quality of the evidence that you intended to co-mingle your lives. Living in separate states in your situation is not uncommon, but not having much in the way of joint financial and tax filings might be tricky. I recommend some guidance by an attorney as to what types of proofs you do have that could accompany the waiver. Good luck.
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

deepbobs:
    Thank you so much!
    I live in detroit, downtown. Where do you live? Could you introduce some immigration lawers in MI?
    My email:qingzhong65@yahoo.com
    I would like to contact with you by email.
    I have not joint bank account, tax is married and seperately file. only have pictures and gifts. How I prepare any document to support my good faith marriage?
    Thank ou again!

Do conditional greenn card can change to F1 or H1? any people know?
    Please help,
    Thanks

As soon as divorce is final submit I-751, waiver of joint filing requirement to remove conditions with documentary evidence of bona fide marriage.
    See http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond2.htm

susana,

Why would a conditional green card holder need to convert to an F1 or H1 status? Are you asking in the event that the LPR is denied?
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

yes, I wonder if the I751 is denied, may i change to other status, or I must be deported out of usa?

Thank you

Hi many of us have been in this situation. you have valid reason on why you guys were apart-education- so you will still put a fight for it but chances are that you will get the GC. Gather all the evidence. Did you guys go to counseling?
    i think deep****s will offer you good advice. good luck