50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: residence card

I am from Austria and I am married with an American since almost 2 years now. I am working abroad but I always spend my vacation there. We have a daughter too. I have not applied yet due to some unforeseen things. We moved now to Indiana too. But now I want to apply and I have a few questions.
    1) We live next to Louisville/Kentucky do I need to file my application in the state I am in or can I do that in Kentucky too?
    2) Does anybody know a good immigration lawyer in Louisville who can help me filing?
    3) Any advise from someone how to do it and what not to forget?
    Thank you for all the help.

I am from Austria and I am married with an American since almost 2 years now. I am working abroad but I always spend my vacation there. We have a daughter too. I have not applied yet due to some unforeseen things. We moved now to Indiana too. But now I want to apply and I have a few questions.
    1) We live next to Louisville/Kentucky do I need to file my application in the state I am in or can I do that in Kentucky too?
    2) Does anybody know a good immigration lawyer in Louisville who can help me filing?
    3) Any advise from someone how to do it and what not to forget?
    Thank you for all the help.

since you are married for two yearsand have a daughter as well...
    Abroad .....Where do you work.....?
    Are you ready to settle in the U.S. now...
    If yes then I dont think you need a Lawyer for this job...and spent money...
    if you go to www.uscis.gov and find out what is required in order to file if you are married to U.S. Citizen collect all the forms read the instructions and here you go...
    Have you ever overstayed your visa.....?
    If not then you will also need form I485 to adjust your status in the United States..

i was about to appl y but then things changed. right now i am working on a cruise ship. but i am about to quit and stay with my family.
    no i never overstaid my visa. i enter the US with my B2 visa.
    but i will have a look at the site and i will get all the info from there.
    i mean if i have questions i just need to post them and i will get answers. thx

D visa cannot adjust. Crewmembers cannot enter on a B-2 if they are working.

I am not entering the Us with a D visa. i know that i can not stay with that one. i have a B1/B2 visa which i use. that way i can stay longer then 3 months in the country as a tourist. i just want to apply get my stuff and go find work and stay with my family. that's it.

You cannot legally enter on a B-2 with the intent to adjust. That is illegal. Your application to adjust may be denied based on that. Best to apply for an immigrant visa based on your marriage to an American citizen and wait for the visa overseas.

FM2003, you should have no problems adjusting status to that of green card holder from B2 status. I would wait at least 60 days from the date of your last entry to send in the application. As long as you didn't enter with the intent to file the AOS, then you should be fine.

As FSN said, you can find instructions on what forms to file (I-130, I-485, I-131 and I-765) at uscis.gov. That site will also give you the informaiton on where to send the application.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your application to adjust may be denied based on that </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Not True.

Each and every thing is possible in this world. When their is a will there is a way...
    since he work on cruise ship, many of the employees do not hold CDC like 805 of the emploees of the ship hold on CDC you get the Crew "D" Visa...if you are holding a passport you can always have a B-2 visa for that. you can even sign off on any port . on "D" you get permission for some hours to visit or shop around..
    You can do a lot on B-1/B-2 visa.

If you read the laws they go around and around, with out any clear answers, You can read the Laws you think and want..that is called USCIS.