50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Marriage to a immrgrant

I am in love with a wonderful man from Latin America. We know each other for 2 yearsand we want to get married. Can we get married with a B-2 visa? The process for a fiance visa especially from his country (Colombia) is 2 years. We want to be together as soon as pssible. Please advise and thank you!

I am in love with a wonderful man from Latin America. We know each other for 2 yearsand we want to get married. Can we get married with a B-2 visa? The process for a fiance visa especially from his country (Colombia) is 2 years. We want to be together as soon as pssible. Please advise and thank you!

Yes you can get married in the US while he's on a B-2 visa here and then do an adjustment of status. But he'd be under close scrutiny when you go in for the interview and you have to explain how he came as a visitor and ended up being married. If you think your local DMV is frustrating to deal with, you'd be suprised when you have to deal with INS. You better consult a lawyer. The money may save your some potential irreversible steps. Good luck

My wife came here on a B-2 visa and we filed for AOS. No problem with filing and we filed one day after the marriage. She received the Green Card in the mail without an interview for either of us since we were married three years. (interview not required if you have been married more than two years)

I was never interviewed by the INS and was never allowed to enter the INS office with her during the final stages of approval. She left a few weeks after receiving the Green Card and now lives with anothr man. I'm now facing the possibilty of financial lose since I signed the I-864 which states I will support her for 10 yrs. her death or until she leaves the country.

Before anyone states I was probably an SOB, consider the fact that I might be a nice person and was taken to the cleaners.

Everyone do yourself a favor and really read in detail what you are signing when you sponsor an immigrant. She gave me many signs of being unfaithful during the marriage, but I was in love and she was my dream come true. We lived together two years before the marriage, so I should have known better. People don't change as a rule, but I was apparently hoping she was an exception.
    She later admitted the marriage to me was for the Green Card and nothing more. INS is very busy and will be of no help when you find yourself in this position. The sponsor is responsible to provide the immigrant with an income of 125% of the Federal Poverty Level. The action can be brought by the immigrant, Federal, State or County government.

Of course, first your BF will have to obtain a tourist visa and what story is he going to tell the embassy? "Gee, I am going to Disneyland"...when, in reality, he wants to go to the US and get married.
    If he lies on his visa application, this could work against him later.
    If he tells the embassy he needs a visa to get married, well, the answer to that request will be NO. (it is not the purpose of a B2 visa to get married and change status)
    Next, we will hear from the 'ethically challenged' immigration attorneys who will suggest that if your BF gets a B2 and comes to the US, that you should NOT be married until he has been in the US for about 2 months.
    Still, this means he will have lied to the consular people originally since he knew (and you knew) what he was up to.
    I am guessing he will have a tough time getting a B2 - try the fiancee visa instead, do this the right way.

I am not sure which INS office does not require an interview if you are married more than 2 years, but we are in Florida and we had to have an interview even though we have been married more than 2 years. Friends in Texas had to have one also. (married 4 years)

I would love to know which office did not require it. It would be useful to others to know this also.