free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK living in the US

Whats the maximum a UK citizen can stay in the US? I know they dont need a visa as long they stay no longer than 90 days a year, but what if they want to stay more. The reason I am asking is a friend of mine is a GC holder with 3 years left before he can become a USC. His g/f or to be fiance lives in the UK. They dont want to wait 3 years for him to become a US citizen and another few months for him to file, etc. They plan on marryin in two year, and would like for her to stay here after marriage. It is ok if she cannot work or do any of those things. they just want to live together. Can she get a visitor visa for the US and stay longer? what options do they have? Like I said, her working here isnt important, but they want to live together after they get married.

Whats the maximum a UK citizen can stay in the US? I know they dont need a visa as long they stay no longer than 90 days a year, but what if they want to stay more. The reason I am asking is a friend of mine is a GC holder with 3 years left before he can become a USC. His g/f or to be fiance lives in the UK. They dont want to wait 3 years for him to become a US citizen and another few months for him to file, etc. They plan on marryin in two year, and would like for her to stay here after marriage. It is ok if she cannot work or do any of those things. they just want to live together. Can she get a visitor visa for the US and stay longer? what options do they have? Like I said, her working here isnt important, but they want to live together after they get married.

Depends on rhe reason for the visit.

Under the Visa Waiver Policy, a UK passport holder can stay up to 90 days, assuming all the conditions are met. Anything longer would require a visitors/business visa.

However, if they marry, she would not be eligible for the B1/B2 visa. Both of them are in a difficult position under the family based green card.

So, the next option might be for her to bet a temporary worker visa, H visa for instance, if she qualifies.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Being maried to a GC holder does not preclude a B2.

However on the basis of what has been said, chances of getting one low.

Move to the UK would be the obvious solution.

I guess we are getting too caught up with the visa processes. Can she get a visitor visa to the US and stay here? I am assuming she will have to get permission for staying out of the UK for so long, or she can go back every few months as required for her not to get that permission. But is that an option. We have people from India, for example, come on visitor visas and stay in the US for a few months, almost a year, then they go back during our winter and then come back for another few months. They dont work here or anything, but stay with family. Those people have 10 years multiple entry visas to the US. Is that an options in this case? I dont think they want to file for things because when he becomes a USC it will be take care of everything, but until then they want to stay together. Does that make sense? Thanks.

In order to get the B1/B2 visa, she would need to provide compelling evidence of ongoing ties to the UK, including mortgage/lease documents, bank accounts, employment etc etc. Even if it's approved, it is no guarantee of entry in to the US. It's up to customs officials at the US border whether she'll be allowed entry and for how long. Given that the plan is for her to basically immigrate without filing the proper paperwork, they would probably catch on very quickly. Lying about who she's here to see and who she's staying with would be very dangerous as that will come back to haunt her once she does go through the legal process.

There are thousands upon thousands of us that spend far more time away from our spouses than we should have to. I just did almost 2 years myself. We got through it and so will they. Given that they're already surviving a long distance relationship and are still so much in love that they're considering marriage, I don't think they have too much to worry about.
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Water: Entering America with a B1/B2 tourist visa usually entitles a person to remain legally for up to 180 days. However, as the terminology suggests, a tourist visa is for...well, it's for tourists...it's not for an intending immigrant who is attempting to circumvent the immigration laws.

Your friend's gf would be well advised to tread carefully if she intends to immigrate legally at a future date. If and when they marry, she should be entirely upfront with Customs and Border protection...and tell them that she intends to visit her permanent resident husband - even if that means that she may not be admitted to the country. Indeed, even at this point, she should be advising them that she is intending to visit her permanent resident bf.

Water,

This is somewhat of an ethics question. If the girl as a citizen of the UK, does not disclose the plan to the USCIS she will almost certainly be admitted without incident. If she is forthright, does the right thing and discloses her intentions. She will more than likely spend the night in a detention cell, and be returned back to the UK on the next available flight.

If she lies, she stands a reasonable chance of getting away with it. But if caught, then she will then be processed and rendered inadmissible to the USA.

Best advice is for the couple to wait until the GC holder becomes a USC, then marry. In the mean time she can visit him, and he can go to the UK and visit her. If done this way, there will be no problems in the future.

The first thing you should do is buy some DEODERANT !!! YES you DO smell contrary to what you think. ALSO see a freaking dentist and get your teeth cleaned, learn to brush and floss. And shave your body hair. Why are Europeans so disgusting and think its OK to go "au natural"? Disgusting group of people. Learn some hygiene and then we will consider to allow you to stay here. Good hygiene should be a requirement for immigrants to come here. My "ex" stunk to high heaven. Makes me nauseous to think about it.