50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BronzeLady, Old Man or anyone - Extension of B2 to allow for AOS?

My daughter has been in the USA on a vistor visa which is due to expire at the end of this month. She came here on vacation, and while she was here my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She obtained an extension to allow her to nurse my mother, so she would be able to stay in her own home until the end. My mother passed away a few months ago.
    During this period, the I-130 petition filed for my daughter by my husband in 1998, was approved. I have become a US citizen and my husband finally had his interview several months after me. His file had been "mislaid". He has been told verbally that he will receive notice of his oath ceremony within the next 21 days.
    My daughter is eligible to adjust status to a PR immediately he becomes a citizen, but it is now obvious that won't be within the next 10 days, after which her visitor visa will expire. Our only option is to immediately file for another extension. (It shouldn't be more than a month or so from now that she will be able to make the adjustment of status application.)
    My questions:
    By filing for an extension, will she remain "in status"?
    If the reason for her request for an extension, is the fact that she will soon be able to adjust status to that of a PR, will the USCIS deny the extension?
    What should we say in the cover letter?
    All advise will be gratefully received!

My daughter has been in the USA on a vistor visa which is due to expire at the end of this month. She came here on vacation, and while she was here my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She obtained an extension to allow her to nurse my mother, so she would be able to stay in her own home until the end. My mother passed away a few months ago.
    During this period, the I-130 petition filed for my daughter by my husband in 1998, was approved. I have become a US citizen and my husband finally had his interview several months after me. His file had been "mislaid". He has been told verbally that he will receive notice of his oath ceremony within the next 21 days.
    My daughter is eligible to adjust status to a PR immediately he becomes a citizen, but it is now obvious that won't be within the next 10 days, after which her visitor visa will expire. Our only option is to immediately file for another extension. (It shouldn't be more than a month or so from now that she will be able to make the adjustment of status application.)
    My questions:
    By filing for an extension, will she remain "in status"?
    If the reason for her request for an extension, is the fact that she will soon be able to adjust status to that of a PR, will the USCIS deny the extension?
    What should we say in the cover letter?
    All advise will be gratefully received!

Any suggestions? I need to file this application today if possible.

File for an extension. Just waiting for the receipt notice may give her time for your husband to naturalize. For the extension to have any chance of being approved, it must be for a valid nonimmigrant purpose.

To which country and class is her visa chargeable?

I don't have an exact answer for you but just remember one thing...

Filing an AOS, even if you have become illegal (perhaps your daughter in this case), is possible IF YOU ENTERED THE COUNTRY LEGALLY. So even if she 'overstays' as long as you get the AOS filed sometime soon - she SHOULD be OK (my opinion only - get legal advice).

You cannot file an AOS if she came in illegally. But this is not the case here. So, in my humble opinion, I would file the extension and then file an AOS as soon as you are able...

I would also give you this advice - get out your yellow pages and make a few cold calls to some imm. lawyers. Most of them will give you a free 5 or 10 minute consultation over the phone. Although this is only mildly helpful, by talking to three or four lawyers, you will have a much better understanding of your options. Just be organized and specific about what your questions are...

Good luck...

ARQU

Thank you both. The visa is chargeable to South Africa, but she has been living in Ireland for the past 3 years - a complication if she has to process through the S A Consulate. She was approved as the unmarried child 21/older of a permanent resident - F-2B I think. She will upgrade to child of a citizen - with a priority date of May 1998. I believe that date is now current. She was originally included on my husband's I-140 filed in 1996, but aged out.

Old Man, I'll take your advice and hope for the best. We've prepared the application and I'll send it off today. We've had a lot of bad luck over the last 8 years - hopefully this at least will work out.

She has a few years to wait for the F2B, but F1 visas are available up to October 2000. So she will be OK for adjustment after her father naturalizes if she is in status. She is in a preference category so she doesn't get all the waivers immediate relatives do.

Bear in mind that if the I-539 is denied then she is out of status since the date the last extension expired. If she is over 21 she still needs to be in status at the time of filing for the I-485 but with a legal entry she will just have to pay the penalty fee for 245(i) of $1000 since she has a perition filed prior to 4/30/01.

Thank you BronzeLady. It is ironic that I am now a citizen, but it doesn't help my daughter. I remember you telling me in a post several months ago that my husband's interview probably wouldn't be more than 2 months after mine. It turned out to be far more than that, presumably because his file was mislaid. We were fortunate that a very helpful officer in the local office investigated and set up a temporary file for him on the day I went for the oath ceremony. This enabled him to have his interview, and they have now located his original file. We are hoping that he will receive notification of his oath very soon. (It is almost 2 months since his interview.) We will prepare the application for my daughter's adjustment of status and file it on the same day as his oath. I hope that the fact that she has filed for an extension means she will still be in status at the time the AOS is filed? Going by the average processing times, she won't get a decision on the I-539 for several months.

I didn't know about the $1000 penalty fee, but seeing as how this whole immigration process has almost bankrupted us over the past several years - what's another $1000 on the equity line!

To benefit under the LIFE Act, she also had to be in the US prior to Dec 21, 2000 if the petition was filed after January 14, 1998.