free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: American by Birth?

I dont know exactely how to start this but here goes..
    In the early 60s my father was stationed in germany, where he met my mother-they fell in love-etc etc, she became pregnant, and he went AWOL to be with her(all this information I have been told by my Grandmother(fathers side) and My mother)...anyway...2 weeks before i was born(September 11,1963-yes my actual birthdate) my father was sent back to the states-court martial for awol, and that was the last my mother ever saw of him, his mother and sister sent baby clothes a few times but stopped since my mother didnt reply back(anger and lack of english skills)-so that was that, I didnt find out till i was 11 that my "step father" wasnt my real father ...so i asked and found out all I could about him, all she knew was his name-D.O.B. and where he had lived at the time(from their discussions)-anyway...when i was 2 my mother married a US serviceman, and we eventually moved to thre states-whereas 2 other brothers evolved from this marriage.
    They divorced in 1976, just after my father(step) was restationed in germany...so basically I am a German National-but, I never claimed to be a German and deep inside I am american as english is my mother language-my schooling was only american etc etc--I fly "home" either 1-2 times a year... to visit my Brothers/Step dad etc etc, i just got back from California in March when my mother told me, she wanted to find my father(we've tried so many times but nothing)and she did a freebie on ancestors.com, and found my fathers mother-when i got back to Germany, I called her, tears in my eyes, when she told me they have been looking for me for over 43 years-now the bad news-My father died in 2004, but my Grandmother(early 80s in Kentucky) and Uncle(60 in florida) want me to come home, what must i do to go home and stay, and claim my birthright as an american citizen?Or do I even have this right, my Grandmother and Uncle say they will do anything it takes?what must i do?What can I or they do?
    Its a long way home.....

I dont know exactely how to start this but here goes..
    In the early 60s my father was stationed in germany, where he met my mother-they fell in love-etc etc, she became pregnant, and he went AWOL to be with her(all this information I have been told by my Grandmother(fathers side) and My mother)...anyway...2 weeks before i was born(September 11,1963-yes my actual birthdate) my father was sent back to the states-court martial for awol, and that was the last my mother ever saw of him, his mother and sister sent baby clothes a few times but stopped since my mother didnt reply back(anger and lack of english skills)-so that was that, I didnt find out till i was 11 that my "step father" wasnt my real father ...so i asked and found out all I could about him, all she knew was his name-D.O.B. and where he had lived at the time(from their discussions)-anyway...when i was 2 my mother married a US serviceman, and we eventually moved to thre states-whereas 2 other brothers evolved from this marriage.
    They divorced in 1976, just after my father(step) was restationed in germany...so basically I am a German National-but, I never claimed to be a German and deep inside I am american as english is my mother language-my schooling was only american etc etc--I fly "home" either 1-2 times a year... to visit my Brothers/Step dad etc etc, i just got back from California in March when my mother told me, she wanted to find my father(we've tried so many times but nothing)and she did a freebie on ancestors.com, and found my fathers mother-when i got back to Germany, I called her, tears in my eyes, when she told me they have been looking for me for over 43 years-now the bad news-My father died in 2004, but my Grandmother(early 80s in Kentucky) and Uncle(60 in florida) want me to come home, what must i do to go home and stay, and claim my birthright as an american citizen?Or do I even have this right, my Grandmother and Uncle say they will do anything it takes?what must i do?What can I or they do?
    Its a long way home.....

Bobby,
    You are already a US citizen, you just need to "claim" it.
    You will need to go the US Consulate in Germany (if that's where you are) and will most likely need the following documents:
    Original Birth Certificate
    Genealogy letter - to be obtained from the Consulate
    Mother/Father's original Birth Certificate
    Notarized copies of the first five pages of mother/father's Passport.
    If you were born in wedlock, mother/father's original Marriage Certificate.
    Two recent passport-sized photographs - one of which is to be notarized by a Notary Public if you cannot come in person to the Consulate.

Call the US Consulate in Germany and make an appointment. They will tell you exactly what you need...
    Others on this forum, hopefully Aneri, will speak up and contribute more.

JustBobby, First thing you need to do is contact the American Consulate/Embassy where you live and ask to speak to an interviewer or a supervisor or even the ambassador. Then you should explain everything to them and they will advise you on what documents/papers you will need to provide in order to assist you in claiminig you rights as a United States Citizen. It is a tedious task but I am certain you will prevail. Just make sure whatever you are claiming you can prove. If not you might never get a chance to enter the U.S.A.legally. God Bless.... Good Luck...Speedy

Yes, he is a citizen even if only one parent was a USC, in this the father.
    The task will be proving paternity.
    it can be done, one step at a time.

What are you going to do ; dig up the body to get DNA evidence???

Paternity can now be proven through sophisticated DNA testing using samples from paternal grandparents, even siblings of the father.
    I personally do not think this will be necessary though.
    Is your dad's name on the birth certificate?

This is the case of unawareness.
    He will need the papers from the Military, in which his father might have included his name as son.
    his birth certificate which has his father name and mothers name or his fathers signature.
    You will have to complete some forms, and those forms will be mailed by the consular Officer to the U.S. DOS to look into the laws of that time when the child was born.
    Bobby you should have an appointment to see the Consular Officer, and explain all you case give him the name and address of your grandmother and uncle telephone # DOS will take care of this case within two months.
    I am sure you are a Citizen and you can get the U.S. Passport issed from the U.S. Emabssy/Consulate near to your place of residence.
    Best of Luck.

Thank You for all the Wonderful advice, but me in my ignorance, forgot to mention 2 things....1. at the time of my birth, my Mother and Father werent married, my Grandmother just told me recently, he tried so hard to come back, but the Government wouldnt let him(due to his court marshall)...and now the one thats bothering me the most, my mother in her anger at him because he "left her hanging", left the area on my German birth certificate blank...now what?DNA tests?Sworn afta davit(sp?) from my Grandmother, and or Uncle?.....
    P.S. you all have lifted a large weight off my heart that Ive carried for over 44 years~but as it seems-it may be a long hard road-as DNA tests in Germany are expensive-and since my father is dead, from whom would the DNA be taken, my Grandmother or Uncle?...also my Father was cremated-so I doubt there can be DNA taken from ashes or?lol-I also have 4 halfbrothers from his marriage...and 2 half brothers from my mothers marriage to my dad(step), all of whom are USC...this just seems so complicated....
    Its a long way home.....

Bobby,
    It's not as complicated as you are making it. Like I mentioned, you are a USC, but you need to claim your birthright.
    Follow the first step we have given here, and let us know what the US Consulate says.
    You'll never know until you take that first big step....
    Please update us here to let us know what you find out.
    Get going!