publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-2014
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: How to renew the driver license while the immigration status is pending.

I live in Arizona. I came here as F-1 visa. I graduated and got married. I applied for a green card 2 months ago. I wonder how I can renew my driver license while my green card application is pending at USCIS. I went to MVD to renew the driver license and they told me to go to change the last name at Social Security. When I went to Social Security, they told me they cannot change my last name and do anything until I have a green card. I now have only the receipt of forms from USCIS. I have biometrics taken a month ago. I checked the status online and it is said that my case is in process. My questions are:
    1. Do you have any idea how I can renew the driver license?
    2. How long will it take to get a temporary card (EAD) from USCIS?
    3. Should I go to the local USCIS office to ask for a temporary card or help?
    Thank you so much.

I live in Arizona. I came here as F-1 visa. I graduated and got married. I applied for a green card 2 months ago. I wonder how I can renew my driver license while my green card application is pending at USCIS. I went to MVD to renew the driver license and they told me to go to change the last name at Social Security. When I went to Social Security, they told me they cannot change my last name and do anything until I have a green card. I now have only the receipt of forms from USCIS. I have biometrics taken a month ago. I checked the status online and it is said that my case is in process. My questions are:
    Thank you so much.

Hi Redbullet and welcome to ILW

I had similar problem to you where DMV would not accept me getting a license unless I showed them my change of name from Immigration either. Even though SS in my State did accept change of name with marriage certificate, DMV would not.

If you have applied for a EAD same time as your GC, I would suggest to wait for that first, it should not take much longer, depending where you applied, roughly no more than another month I would say.

When you get your EAD, take it to the SS with marriage certificate to have name change to update their records. Also take the notice receipts from USICS so they can see your pending application in case they ask. Then go to DMV with all necessary documents they require.
    I would think the EAD would be enough for SS as it is a valid government ID card which shows your change of name.

It does differ from State to State, but it does sound it was similar to what I had to do, Immigration documents in my case was what my DMV went by and had to prove it.

That is my opinion, maybe others may be able to share their experience or knowledge from your State.

In case you don't have the AZ DMV information at hand to check what documents needed, here is a link to their site.. DMV AZ
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I now have only the receipt of forms from USCIS. I have biometrics taken a month ago. I checked the status online and it is said that my case is in process. My questions are:
    Thank you so much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need your EAD. In most cases it takes eleven weeks to get the EAD. It is not a temporary card btw. it's an Employment Authorization Card.

Meaning you can also apply for a job when your EAD arrives.You have to show this card to SS to update your info.

I would have thought the NOA you should have gotten from the USCIS when you filed for AOS should be acceptable proof of your immigration status (I-797).

I know I had to show an unrestricted Social Security card along with the I-797 in order to get a 1yr "temporary" driver license here in SC 4yrs ago.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would have thought the NOA you should have gotten from the USCIS when you filed for AOS should be acceptable proof of your immigration status (I-797). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't know about other States Brit.
    In most States SS Admin will ask for your immigration Card. NOA is not acceptable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by speed_025:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would have thought the NOA you should have gotten from the USCIS when you filed for AOS should be acceptable proof of your immigration status (I-797). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I really don't know about other States Brit.
    In most States SS Admin will ask for your immigration Card. NOA is not acceptable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then it's a catch 22 situation. I know about 6yrs ago, it was similar here in SC. There was such a big public outcry that new immigrants couldn't get driver licenses because they would only accept the GC as proof of status. It eventually got sorted out once the SC officials were educated on how long it took to get the AOS interview and/or approval
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

i really dont know anything about the law, i just heard from a friend to a friend that they were having problems because something expired while they were trying to get their citizenship, but their citizenship application was denied, so now that 2 things that have expired, what are their options, now their license will expired next year, what can be done, any advice from anyone.i love him but he wont marry me because he was married to the girl in his country, but because they both are alien they had to get a divorce in the america so someone please tell me what their options are they need help

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by divadarkness:
    i really dont know anything about the law, i just heard from a friend to a friend that they were having problems because something expired while they were trying to get their citizenship, but their citizenship application was denied, so now that 2 things that have expired, what are their options, now their license will expired next year, what can be done, any advice from anyone.i love him but he wont marry me because he was married to the girl in his country, but because they both are alien they had to get a divorce in the america so someone please tell me what their options are they need help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might depend on why the citizenship app was denied. If it were because of lack of good moral character, the underlying PR status is probably unaffected.

If it were because of a criminal record, depending on what the offense was, it might trigger removal proceedings.