50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vatican says don't marry Muslims !

Michael
    Vatican Warns Catholics Against Marrying Muslims
    Fri May 14, 2004 12:43 PM ET

By Shasta Darlington
    VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican warned Catholic women on Friday to think hard before marrying a Muslim and urged Muslims to show more respect for human rights, gender equality and democracy.

Calling women "the least protected member of the Muslim family," it spoke of the "bitter experience" western Catholics had with Muslim husbands, especially if they married outside the Islamic world and later moved to his country of origin.

The comments in a document about migrants around the world were preceded by remarks about points of agreement between Christians and Muslims but they seemed likely to fuel mistrust between the world's two largest religions.

The document said the Church discouraged marriages between believers in traditionally Catholic countries and non-Christian migrants.

It hoped Muslims would show "a growing awareness that fundamental liberties, the inviolable rights of the person, the equal dignity of man and woman, the democratic principle of government and the healthy lay character of the state are principles that cannot be surrendered."

When a Catholic woman and Muslim man wanted to marry, it said, "bitter experience teaches us that a particularly careful and in-depth preparation is called for."

It said one possible problem was with Muslim in-laws and advised future mothers that they must insist on Church policy that children born of a mixed marriage be baptized and brought up as Catholics.

If the marriage is registered in the consulate of a Muslim country, the document said, the Catholic must be careful not to sign a document or swear an oath including the shahada, the Islamic profession of faith, which would amount to converting.

Michael
    Vatican Warns Catholics Against Marrying Muslims
    Fri May 14, 2004 12:43 PM ET

By Shasta Darlington
    VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican warned Catholic women on Friday to think hard before marrying a Muslim and urged Muslims to show more respect for human rights, gender equality and democracy.

Calling women "the least protected member of the Muslim family," it spoke of the "bitter experience" western Catholics had with Muslim husbands, especially if they married outside the Islamic world and later moved to his country of origin.

The comments in a document about migrants around the world were preceded by remarks about points of agreement between Christians and Muslims but they seemed likely to fuel mistrust between the world's two largest religions.

The document said the Church discouraged marriages between believers in traditionally Catholic countries and non-Christian migrants.

It hoped Muslims would show "a growing awareness that fundamental liberties, the inviolable rights of the person, the equal dignity of man and woman, the democratic principle of government and the healthy lay character of the state are principles that cannot be surrendered."

When a Catholic woman and Muslim man wanted to marry, it said, "bitter experience teaches us that a particularly careful and in-depth preparation is called for."

It said one possible problem was with Muslim in-laws and advised future mothers that they must insist on Church policy that children born of a mixed marriage be baptized and brought up as Catholics.

If the marriage is registered in the consulate of a Muslim country, the document said, the Catholic must be careful not to sign a document or swear an oath including the shahada, the Islamic profession of faith, which would amount to converting.

NEVER NEVER NEVER MARRY A MUSLIM!! WIFE=SLAVE
    Sweet Madame Belu

Ya' know I hate responding to ya' Michael. But I think that you have just gotten unbelieveably "not-so-smart" - even for you.

The Vatican does not approve of marriages to ANYONE that is not Catholic, and that includes other Christian religions.

Josephine, i think that you should think and educate yourself before talking like that, i'm a muslim, my wife is catholic, each one of us live life to the fullest, no one preach at the other one, and nobody is a slave here. I think Americans should stop looking at the bad side and look at the vast majority whose lifestyle is just as American if you lived in one of our modern countries, every race and place has a bad side, look at what the amish are doing here, what would you say to that?

if you trust vatican's marriage advise, then you should also contact the pope for *** advise.

*** is S E X. Now why should that be a "bad" word on this board?

Jo,

Correct me if I am wrong. I thought your husband is a Pakistani Muslim.

HERE HERE JC!!!

Vierce - I have no idea, but H e c k is also a bad word here!

on another note, the vatican does have some marriage advice that many people (such as me) respect. In fact, the idea of taking classes before marriage is one of the best ideas I have heard of yet... however, who to marry, well the vatican is concerned about preserving catholicism, just like any other religion is concerned about preserving their relgion or their version of the religion. They don't actually say you shouldn't respect someone of another religion, or that you shouldn't fall in love with them.

Kenny - as far as I know you are right, and Jo is just being contrary for some bizarre reason. In fact, not too long ago she had a post titled, "Muslims are scapegoats". I never read it as it sounded somewhat instigatory to me, but just the idea pretty much communicates the stance I have always known her to have.

Michael
    I am very confused also; wasnt Jo definging Muslims and married to one not too long ago ? Wasnt she moving over there ? Someone explain this please.