publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: G/Card P/Resident,wanting to open business in Europe.

Hi,
    I have an art business in the USA.I currently import work from overseas.I want to register my US business in South Africa,as well as in Europe.

I will have to travel to and fro between these locations and the US each year.
    When I appoint a company agent in each,it will be perhaps only twice a year to each,but in order to identify artists and agents with whom I want to work,the first 8 months to a year may require me to travel there more frequently.

My question is....
    will the time spent out of the country,be detrimental to my application for citizenship?
    I do not know exactly how much time can be spent outside the US in order to conform with my G/Card and P/Residence each year,I think it's 10 months resident,2 months away?
    If I am required through my US Corporation to be away from the US as I have stated above,
    does it affect me personally,or is this waived because it is necessary for the growth of my US business?
    Eagerly awaiting your replies,and thank you so much!!

Hi,
    I have an art business in the USA.I currently import work from overseas.I want to register my US business in South Africa,as well as in Europe.

I will have to travel to and fro between these locations and the US each year.
    When I appoint a company agent in each,it will be perhaps only twice a year to each,but in order to identify artists and agents with whom I want to work,the first 8 months to a year may require me to travel there more frequently.

My question is....
    will the time spent out of the country,be detrimental to my application for citizenship?
    I do not know exactly how much time can be spent outside the US in order to conform with my G/Card and P/Residence each year,I think it's 10 months resident,2 months away?
    If I am required through my US Corporation to be away from the US as I have stated above,
    does it affect me personally,or is this waived because it is necessary for the growth of my US business?
    Eagerly awaiting your replies,and thank you so much!!

I always thought it was 9 months out of the year, and that you needed a reentry permit after being absent for 6 months. But I think the rules have changed some. This is what the uscis.gov website says:

<QUOTE>
    Maintaining Permanent Residence
    Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

* Move to another country intending to live there permanently.
    * Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
    * Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.
    * Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.
    * Declare yourself a "nonimmigrant" on your tax returns.
    <END QUOTE>

so it seems that you just cannot be absent for more than one year without reentry permit to keep your greencard

This is what the uscis.gov website says about residency requirement to apply for citizenship:

<QUOTE>
    Residence and Physical Presence

An applicant is eligible to file if, immediately preceding the filing of the application, he or she:

* has been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (see preceding section);
    * has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year;
    * has been physically present in the United States for at least 30 months out of the previous five years (absences of more than six months but less than one year shall disrupt the applicant's continuity of residence unless the applicant can establish that he or she did not abandon his or her residence during such period)
    * has resided within a state or district for at least three months

<END QUOTE>

you only need 3 years of continuous residence if you are married to a USC (and are still married at the time of naturalization) I don't know how many months of the 3 years you would have to be in the US though

hope that helps

Silviamka!!
    Once again,you've saved the day!!
    Thank you for taking the time to find the relevant info for me.
    It's VERY much appreciated,
    I hope that you will be " out there " for a long time to come.
    Best to you and your family.