50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Complete Incompetence

As some of you know I just received my certificate of citizenship. I claimed citizenship threw my U.S. born father.

I like probably most people, didn't know the law. So I thought I was a citizen just by the virtue of being born the son of a citizen. And there would be no questions asked. But I was wrong.
    They required proof that my father was physically present in the U.S. for a set number of years. The letter confused me, it asked me to prove.

-10 years, 5 of which were after your parent's 14th birthday.

-10 years,5 of which were after your parent's 16th birthday.

-5 years,2 of which were after your US citizens parent's14th birthday.

- One continuous year prior to your birth.

The letter asked I prove all four. It confused me so I called the USCIS.I explained my situation and asked the agent to help me understand exactly what they needed. He responded by telling me I needed to prove all four. Which didn't make sense to me so I asked him to explain himself further. He said I had to prove My dad lived in the U.S. for these years.

- from ages 0-5 and 14-19
    - from ages 0-5 and 16-21
    - from ages 0-2 and 14-17

And if he didn't live in the country for all of these specific years of his life. I would be ineligible. It sounded like gobbledygook to me. So I asked if he was absolutely sure of what he was saying. He said he was, but I thought maybe he misunderstood me. So I urged him to hear me out again as I reexplained my situation and went over the letter again. It didn't change his opinion. He went over the years again with such conviction. That I thought it was over for me. But again I asked if he was sure and he reassured he knew was he was talking about. He even went on to say I was in the country illegally and that if I was ever going to have a chance of being a citizen I would have to leave the country. I let him know exactly what this meant to my life. How this would be the end of my life as I knew it. And if he knew that he was suggesting I leave my country were I have lived my entire life, and go to a place were I have never really been. All he could say to that was how sorry he was, but that the law is the law. He explain my options which I don't remember because at this point I was completely broken.

After he hung up. And I was able to process what I had just been told. I went into a deep depression .And anyone who knows me would tell you I'm not the kind that goes into a depression often. Actually I don't think I had ever been depressed before this happened. I was simply crushed I didn't tell my family or friends, I was in complete isolation for those few days of torment.

I had asked the members of this forum for advise regarding this issue. And though I was assured they were wrong by federale86 and FSN. I was still distraught since the info I got was from the USICS itself.

As time passed and I got over the initial shock. I thought about it and it made less and less sense. I found the laws online and convinced myself the guy was wrong. Though I had doubts up until I got the letter to appear for the oath.

Now how is it these idiots get their jobs. Are they not required to know the laws. Ok lets say their not required to know the law. Why are they allowed to give advice on any case then. And this guy did more than give advice he laid down judgment.

As some of you know I just received my certificate of citizenship. I claimed citizenship threw my U.S. born father.

I like probably most people, didn't know the law. So I thought I was a citizen just by the virtue of being born the son of a citizen. And there would be no questions asked. But I was wrong.
    They required proof that my father was physically present in the U.S. for a set number of years. The letter confused me, it asked me to prove.

-10 years, 5 of which were after your parent's 14th birthday.

-10 years,5 of which were after your parent's 16th birthday.

-5 years,2 of which were after your US citizens parent's14th birthday.

- One continuous year prior to your birth.

The letter asked I prove all four. It confused me so I called the USCIS.I explained my situation and asked the agent to help me understand exactly what they needed. He responded by telling me I needed to prove all four. Which didn't make sense to me so I asked him to explain himself further. He said I had to prove My dad lived in the U.S. for these years.

- from ages 0-5 and 14-19
    - from ages 0-5 and 16-21
    - from ages 0-2 and 14-17

And if he didn't live in the country for all of these specific years of his life. I would be ineligible. It sounded like gobbledygook to me. So I asked if he was absolutely sure of what he was saying. He said he was, but I thought maybe he misunderstood me. So I urged him to hear me out again as I reexplained my situation and went over the letter again. It didn't change his opinion. He went over the years again with such conviction. That I thought it was over for me. But again I asked if he was sure and he reassured he knew was he was talking about. He even went on to say I was in the country illegally and that if I was ever going to have a chance of being a citizen I would have to leave the country. I let him know exactly what this meant to my life. How this would be the end of my life as I knew it. And if he knew that he was suggesting I leave my country were I have lived my entire life, and go to a place were I have never really been. All he could say to that was how sorry he was, but that the law is the law. He explain my options which I don't remember because at this point I was completely broken.

After he hung up. And I was able to process what I had just been told. I went into a deep depression .And anyone who knows me would tell you I'm not the kind that goes into a depression often. Actually I don't think I had ever been depressed before this happened. I was simply crushed I didn't tell my family or friends, I was in complete isolation for those few days of torment.

I had asked the members of this forum for advise regarding this issue. And though I was assured they were wrong by federale86 and FSN. I was still distraught since the info I got was from the USICS itself.

As time passed and I got over the initial shock. I thought about it and it made less and less sense. I found the laws online and convinced myself the guy was wrong. Though I had doubts up until I got the letter to appear for the oath.

Now how is it these idiots get their jobs. Are they not required to know the laws. Ok lets say their not required to know the law. Why are they allowed to give advice on any case then. And this guy did more than give advice he laid down judgment.

Training one to comprehend and interpret statutes (that often contradict each other as one amendment and subsection is added after another) costs a lot of money.
    There is not enough resourses to train everyone to know all statutes and give you legal advise or judgement over the phone.
    Immigration is funded by petitioners , not taxpayers. If they gave you such full service as you wish then your application fee would have to be $10000 or more.

Instead of going into depresison you should have searched and found knowledgeable and experienced immigration attorney. Such exist out there, though odds are little you find one by getting random listing in yellow pages.

Instead of tormenting yourself you should have spent couple of hundred dollars on legal consultation.
    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

Something I didn't add was that I mentioned getting a lawyer to him. I asked, could a lawyer help me he chuckled and said a lawyer can take your money.

I agree with you though. I should off gotten a lawyer to clear things up for me at that point. Instead of going into panic. I eventually got a really good lawyer to help me out but that was towards the end of the process.

When you are sick do you ask CVS pharmacist if doctor can help you?

Even though many doctors will take your money and make you more sick when you are really sick, it is still prudent to look and try to find a knowledgable one when you are sick instead of asking around if doctors could help you.
    http://www.anbsoft.com/images/usflag_med.jpg

"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibit

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-5 years,2 of which were after your US citizens parent's14th birthday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw this somewhere this morning. It is very complicated and confusing. Just be glad you don't have to deal with this anymore.

Golden rule #1, the USCIS aren't there to help you as you've discovered. They exist for the purpose of paper pushing and acting as prosecutor only.

Golden rule #2, not all lawyers know the law. I've seen quite a few cases where the lawyer actually caused individuals to be placed in removal proceedings!

Golden rule #3, trust yourself and do some research. Most of the stuff is out there online if you look. That's where ILW and other sites can help. If you do decide to use a lawyer and there are cases where a lawyer is a must, word of mouth recommendations are often the best policy.
    "What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."