free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: CONGRESS RECENT LEGISLATION FOR KIDS

posted July 27, 2002 05:59 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm a legal permanent resident here in the U.S and I applied for a green card for my daughter 3 years ago as a minor unmarried child. However, she turned 21 yesterday and her petition will be exactly 3 years old in 4 months time. I know due to the fact that she had already turned 21, she might not be able to apply for the v-2 visa even though she is qualified. Now, I would like to know whether the recently passed law (H.R 1209) which addresses the issue of children aging out while their application is pending, will make my daughter now eligible for the v-2 visa even though she has just turned 21. I'll really appreciate any advice from anyone.
    I know this is a very very technical question because the V-2 visa is supposed to expire immediately the child turns 21, while the V-1 visa (for spouse of L.P.R) lasts for 10 years, I wonder why there is such discrimination for children of permanent residents there and also does anyone have any ideas on whether the congress is taking any steps to address this issue too ? Thanks

posted July 27, 2002 05:59 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm a legal permanent resident here in the U.S and I applied for a green card for my daughter 3 years ago as a minor unmarried child. However, she turned 21 yesterday and her petition will be exactly 3 years old in 4 months time. I know due to the fact that she had already turned 21, she might not be able to apply for the v-2 visa even though she is qualified. Now, I would like to know whether the recently passed law (H.R 1209) which addresses the issue of children aging out while their application is pending, will make my daughter now eligible for the v-2 visa even though she has just turned 21. I'll really appreciate any advice from anyone.
    I know this is a very very technical question because the V-2 visa is supposed to expire immediately the child turns 21, while the V-1 visa (for spouse of L.P.R) lasts for 10 years, I wonder why there is such discrimination for children of permanent residents there and also does anyone have any ideas on whether the congress is taking any steps to address this issue too ? Thanks

You can track and read progress of bills at

http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.html