free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting married - need advice

I have a boyfriend here ( US citizen ) and we've been together for some time and we decided to get married this summer. I am here on B1 visa and I when I re-entered US a week ago ( I've been here for a year and a half going back home and coming back ) they let me in only for thirty days, that's how it stated on I-94 although my visa is valid until 2007.

I would like to stay here with him and it seems that the only option where I will not have problems would be that we get married sooner, so it would mean this month.
    My question is -after we get married (my I-94 expires in the beginning of June )can I stay here legaly and if my status changed immediately with the date of the marriage certificate.

Thanks a lot.

I have a boyfriend here ( US citizen ) and we've been together for some time and we decided to get married this summer. I am here on B1 visa and I when I re-entered US a week ago ( I've been here for a year and a half going back home and coming back ) they let me in only for thirty days, that's how it stated on I-94 although my visa is valid until 2007.

I would like to stay here with him and it seems that the only option where I will not have problems would be that we get married sooner, so it would mean this month.
    My question is -after we get married (my I-94 expires in the beginning of June )can I stay here legaly and if my status changed immediately with the date of the marriage certificate.

Thanks a lot.

You would have to file for an adjustment of status immediately after you are married.

After filing the adjustment of the status, would this be enough so I can stay here legaly until the status would be approved?

Since you enter with inspection it should be enough, but why did they only extend it for 30 days?

Because I has a letter with me from a company, where they stated, that they would like to have me as an intern for another six months. This is how it was before and I entered US without any problems for three times but now the imm. dep. said that it shouldn't be that way and that the company has to file for the H1B. Even if they file, I would still need to go home for four months before Oct 1 when I would be able to start working here.

You can stay legally after your application has been filing by USCIS and you received your notice from them stating that your application received. You can stay until either its approved or denied. In the time being, you can apply work permit (90 days from the date you apply) and then social security number. You will hear about the interview about 6 to 12 months. Depends on where you live. You need to do your homework before you send your application. One simple mistake can create problems. Let say they denied your application, you will be bar from entering US depends on how long you overstayed your visa.

Well as u have visited USA couple of times before and this time u got only 30 days .... AOS after marriage wont be that easy but u should be ok... yes once u file AOS ... u r not out of status anymore and u can stay legally until u get decision on ur application be it approval or denial .... About other things me2 already answered u to apply for work permit ETC... good luck

Thank you all so much...

When the papers would be filed and in the process - will I be able to leave and come back to the USA or there is an option that they wouldn't let me in?

While your status is pending you must file and advance parole in order to leave the country, failure to do this (may, can, will) result in you not being allowed back in. It is very importatn that you file for this if you wnat to leave the country after you AOS paperwork is filed. Keep in mind it may take 6 months to a year to get your GC and during this time without advance parole you will not be able to leave.