free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selective services

Can someone help me out from this selective service matter. I am 30 years old and did not registered to selective service. I lived here during the the 18 and 26th of my birth day. I had no idea about registring to selective service till I filed my N400 last year. My interview is schedule on January 12 on Wednesday. I have no idea what to do on this matter. I am very confused. Anyone else had the same kind of experience before please share that with me.
    Thanks for the help

Can someone help me out from this selective service matter. I am 30 years old and did not registered to selective service. I lived here during the the 18 and 26th of my birth day. I had no idea about registring to selective service till I filed my N400 last year. My interview is schedule on January 12 on Wednesday. I have no idea what to do on this matter. I am very confused. Anyone else had the same kind of experience before please share that with me.
    Thanks for the help

What was your status when you were in the US between your 18-26th birthday? If you were a lawful nonimmigrant, you were not required to sign up. If you were unlawfully here or you were an immigrant (in the USCIS sense) then you would have had to sign up.

Hello
    I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but if you lived here between the ages 18-26, you are required to register whether you are a legal or illegal immigrant.Selective Serices registration is mandatory .However, the only exception is if you prove that you were unaware of the requirement and did not receive any notification from the Selective Service. That is a tough burden to overcome, because when you become an immigrant( Green Card holder) or you get a driver's licence, or register for financial aid in college, the Selective Serice sends you a notice to register. So you may have to check with the Selective Service to see whether they ever sent you a notice to register. If they did and it was not returned to them as a wrong address, then you may have a chance. If they did and it was not returned to them, your petition will be denied. So call Selective Service and verify.
    Since you said that you are 30 years old, you may have a problem. You still within the 5 year good moral character requirment to become a citizen. Failure to register for Selective Service is proof of lack of good moral character.
    Your 5 years will expire when you turn 31 years old. Sorry mate.You got a tough one there. If you need more info let me know

I did contact to Selective Services at the time when I was filling N400, that was the first time I knew that there is a Selective Service requirement, They sent me a letter stating that they never sent me any letter to register and it is late now because I am older than 26 now. They wrote in the letter that it is upto uscis that they accept this reason or not.

Spy
    I was 23 years old when I got my green card.

I came to the US when i was 20 and i'm waiting for my AOS, I'm 26 now so does that mean that I have to register with the selective service in order for me to get citizenship in 3 years? if yes how can I contact the selective service and what is it exactely? my thought is military draft, thank you.

ALL LPR's and US Citizens between certain ages must register for the draft (selective service). Non-immigrants here on valid visa's do not (ie: TN) - but once your LPR is approved, you MUST register with Uncle Sam.

At least that is how I understand it.

ARQU

You can sign up and read more about selective service here.

http://www.sss.gov/

If you are 26 then you don't need to register. Only 18-25 year olds have to.