free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Petition for Divorce after approval of 751

Hello,

My 751 got approved very recently. However me and my wife are having issues lately and we have been seeing a couples therapist for last couple of months. We have decided to mutually get divorced and we are planning on getting a divorce. We have tons of proof of our marriage as in leases, taxes, photos, joint trips, phone calls, emails, gym memberships, health insurances, doctor visits etc.

DOES petitioning for DIVORCE( not the final decree, the final divorce might take about 2-3months ) immediately after 751 approval cause any issues later on or during naturalization?

We are planning to do the divorce ourself and file it ourself since we are not fighting over anything as far as property as we have decided to share our joint bank accounts and our joint stock brokerage and other property exactly 50%.

Dave, if she is so understanding about the whole issue, why not wait a while before you file for divorce. Experts here will tell you, immediate divorce right after approval of I751 may raise the red flag for citizenship. Don't take a chance, talk to her logically and see if you can postpone the divorce for a while. Good Luck

Wait a minute.

His I751 got approved, he says???

then what the H*ll is this question and concern all about? proof or marriage etc etc???

if you I 751 got approved.You gained full residence, nothing can happen to you anymore.

I do not understand this question at all...unless he miss-typed

Dear Dave,

As long as you have bona fide proof of your true marriage relationship, it really does not matter if you get a divorce soon after your I-751 approval. When you file for citizenship in a couple of years (you have to wait 5 yrs now) you will be able to prove your true marriage relationship if the immigration service requires it. You're pretty much free and clear to do what you want. MUCH LUCK!

(THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE)
    Leviticus 19:33-34
    "When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt. I am the LORD your God."

Hi,

Thanks for the insightful replies. 751 was approved recently. Since we are getting a divorce in just about 2-3months AFTER the 751 approval I just wanted to make sure it's not going to cause any issue later on and if there are any SPECIFIC things we need to mention in our DIVORCE DECREE. I am going to save all the paperwork and all our marriage proof which has allmost filled up a suitcase for the next couple of years at least.

Thanks Everyone. Really appreciate the messages.

Originally posted by Dave10998:
    Hi,

Thanks for the insightful replies. 751 was approved recently. Since we are getting a divorce in just about 2-3months AFTER the 751 approval I just wanted to make sure it's not going to cause any issue later on and if there are any SPECIFIC things we need to mention in our DIVORCE DECREE. I am going to save all the paperwork and all our marriage proof which has allmost filled up a suitcase for the next couple of years at least.

Thanks Everyone. Really appreciate the messages.
    Have you already submitted the N400?
    The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

I would be eligible for Naturalization in about 4 months or so. We have decided to break up and we are applying for divorce soon. I have recently got the approval for my 751 petition.

Since we are divorcing , I will not be filing for the N-400 even if the divorce is not going to be finalized by then since we have decided to break up.

His I751 got approved, he says???

then what the H*ll is this question and concern all about? proof or marriage etc etc???

if you I 751 got approved.You gained full residence, nothing can happen to you anymore.

I do not understand this question at all...unless he miss-typed

HBK you are foolish to believe this.
    Understand this.

Do not believe that nothing can happen to you anymore! Unless you have citizenship.. you are still able to be subject to removal . Just ask several thousand people who never bothered to apply for citizenship and just kept renewing their greencard..... then one day.... bam it happened, felony etc. for whatever reason...
    They are no longer with us.

Dave

Your wife should stay in this marriage until you get citizenship just to get her off the hook for your sponsership. You may want to use that as an angle.

4Now, does the I-864 become negated once the recipient becomes USC? Didn't realize that were the case.