free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well known lawyer made me out of status

I have worked in IT sector for 7 years and I have been all the time on expired H1B because my layer did not want to file for a H1B transfer.
    After 6 years of waiting my green card was denied at the I-140 stage because my company was paying me 42K and was in loss in 1998. In addition my lawyer has been lying to me about status of my green card and asking about more money.
    What am I to do?
    How to pay off my 25K loans if I cannot find any job because of my status? Will I go to jail?
    I have an illigal wife and 3 children born in US during that 7 years of unawared illegal stay.
    What to do?

I have worked in IT sector for 7 years and I have been all the time on expired H1B because my layer did not want to file for a H1B transfer.
    After 6 years of waiting my green card was denied at the I-140 stage because my company was paying me 42K and was in loss in 1998. In addition my lawyer has been lying to me about status of my green card and asking about more money.
    What am I to do?
    How to pay off my 25K loans if I cannot find any job because of my status? Will I go to jail?
    I have an illigal wife and 3 children born in US during that 7 years of unawared illegal stay.
    What to do?

If you think you have a case against your lawyer,then file a complaint ot the State board or report to AILA assuming he is a member and they will look into the practice or malpractice of the lawyer.Prepare to spend time and money on this matter.Unfortunately,the real battle is with the INS and not with your lawyer.

You can ask for help from Mr. Siskind at gsiskind@visalaw.com or visit his firm at www.visalaw.com

James

This is a tough case, but you do have a case against your lawyer.

Pawel can certianly fight this bad lawyer, but will he have the right status to stay in the country to fight this lawyer? I think you need to have documents for everything that your lawyer in fact lied to you, and asked for more money etc. It's a good thing that your children are US citizens. Even though they cant sponsor you until they are 21, you can make this case about the children. You can argue that deporting you will affect the lives of your US citizen children.

Why do you say that yr lawyer keep asking for money...usually and most of times there is a contract signed before yr lawyer does anything and on this contract the agreed amount for yr case is there too..so why would he keep asking for more and why did you give it to him ???

Just wondering ... cause I signed a contract with my lawyer and I know how much money I will need for my case..

Lawyers wrongfully and unscrupulously charge additional fees after the fact. OR they may pretend that they did not get enough money in order to justify their illegal and unethical behaviour.

Anyway, obviously this is not a matter of money, first and foremost. It is a matter of total dishonesty, manipulation, and trickery for which this lawyer should pay for.

No one will be criminally liable for non-payment of debt unless you obtained it by means of fraud.

As Bugsy said, your concern most importantly is with the INS. I do not see any avenue for you to stay under your present circumstances unless the new set of congress pass a new law favorable to your situation. Your hope are your children when they reached 21 years old. But as the saying goes, there is a remedy for every problem. Try to consult an honest and refutable lawyer. It may help.

As for your former attorney, if you are bent in correcting the damaged he has done to you, you can file a complaint to the state bar in your state for violation of the Cannon of Professional Ethics by citing several grounds that you think were an unprofessional conduct of the lawyer. At the same time you can file a case in court for damages. One of the grounds is that you lost your opportunity to stay legal and thus, you were deprived of your right to property and subsistence.
    If I were you, I will consult those organization that render free legal services.

I wish you good luck

~