free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theoretical Question.

So, occasionally our local carrier offers dirt cheap return flights to the US, and JC and I are considering taking up the next one when we spot it. I already pretty much know the answer to this, but just want to double check for peace of mind before we get too carried away.

Obviously, I'd come in utilizing my visa rather than the VWP, so I'd go through the whole IR1 thing. But I'd need to go back to NZ again, since I'd be coming without the horror children from hades and since the house isn't sold. Basically, it'll be a dirty long weekend, and I'd only be staying for around a week.

Will I have any problems entering with a return ticket, or leaving, or coming back again 2-3 months later?
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

So, occasionally our local carrier offers dirt cheap return flights to the US, and JC and I are considering taking up the next one when we spot it. I already pretty much know the answer to this, but just want to double check for peace of mind before we get too carried away.

Obviously, I'd come in utilizing my visa rather than the VWP, so I'd go through the whole IR1 thing. But I'd need to go back to NZ again, since I'd be coming without the horror children from hades and since the house isn't sold. Basically, it'll be a dirty long weekend, and I'd only be staying for around a week.

Will I have any problems entering with a return ticket, or leaving, or coming back again 2-3 months later?
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

after you enter with IR visa, a green card will be ordered for you. You'll need GC the next time you enter.
    I am guessing you have someone in the USA whose address you can give as a mailing address and who will forward it to you. You will also need to cross fingers that GC doesn't get lost in the mail. Otherwise your life may get a little bit more complicated..

Hey Aroha

Return ticket is no problem, I did and most people I know do, as it is cheaper than a one way.

You can leave the US anytime once you entered the first time and did your necessary paperwork etc at POE.

If time frames are still the same you should be getting your Green Card within 2 weeks, often it is less.
    If it arrives after you leave , JC will have to mail it to you. Of course like Aneri pointed out to you, if it is lost, then you have major problems.

Is there anyway you could stay until you get the GC?
    My suggestion to you would be wait for it if possible, less complicated.

How about a dirty 2 week visit?

*hurry up JC..finish the carpets*
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    God Bless America - God Bless Immigrants - God Bless Poor Misguided Souls Too

National Domestic Violence Hotline:
    1.800.799.SAFE (7233) 1.800.787.

Hi Aroha,

Oooh, we're happy for you! Hope that your life doesn't "get complicated" as Aneri mentioned. (The USPS is very reliable - at least here in GA.)

JC, get those carpets cleaned and the kitchen ready as well! LOL!
    Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

I'm working on it! Sheesh.

Just spent over $100 at Lowes on carpet cleaner, paint, and various other things. I need a proper bed, though. The futon is fine for one, but it sags a bit in the middle and we'd end up...on top...of...

The futon will work just fine.
    --------------------
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

LOL JC!

OK. So what about the visa in my passport? The Consulate told me that until my GC arrives it would be my proof of status, and it says on it that once endorsed, it's valid for 1 year as proof of residency.

Aroha, from what I remember, once you arrive in the US, you will be issued a 10yr GC.

At P.O.E you will receive what they call an endorsement paper I think, that will be valid for 1 yr.
    This is used to prove your legal permanent residency in the US, (I can't remember the Code name for it), until you receive the actual 10yr GC in the mail some weeks later.

It basically is a safeguard in case your actual card gets delayed or lost in mail whilst they process it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It might be valid for 1 year, but it may not be valid for more than 1 entry. Check on it carefully.

Here is an example. A k-1 visa for fiance(e) of a USC is valid for 6 months after issuance and 90 days after entry. However, it is valid for only 1 POE crossing.

Actually the endorsement may be stamped in your passport at P.O.E,