free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN Seeking Permanent Status?

I am a Canadian Citizen and have been in the US since 1993, first on a student visa for 5 years and currently on a TN for the past 5 years. I am planning on getting married to a US citizen in November. Is there any way I can continue working and change my status to landed immigrant or some other type of status.

I am a Canadian Citizen and have been in the US since 1993, first on a student visa for 5 years and currently on a TN for the past 5 years. I am planning on getting married to a US citizen in November. Is there any way I can continue working and change my status to landed immigrant or some other type of status.

I do not know how you change to a landed immigrant, but you will be able to adjust status in november, right after you marry. It will take 90 days for them to process your work papers, but then you will be able to carry on. Are you currently out of status?

My TN expires July 20. I will renew it then at the border, should I apply for a specific marriage visa then for the november wedding? Will I be able to continue working throughout this process?

When you renew it at the border, if you can, then that is all that you need to do. In november after you are married, your spouse will file a petition for you to become a permenant resident. I am not really sure what a TN is, but you should be able to keep working while you are adjusting status. However, I would speka with an immigration attorney, before the wedding, just to make sure, but as long as you are in status you should be able to keep working. As for the forms your spouse will fill out check with other people on the board and the uscis website. What is a TN anyways?

grasmick.com

-= nav =-

A TN Visa was set up under the Free Trade Agreement, it's between Canada, the US, and Mexico,(I think), it's an I-190. It's renewed yearly by an employer. Will I be able to leave the country while my petition for permenant residencey is being reviewed, ie. Honeymoon, vacation back to Canada? How long does this usually take? Under my TN visa, I must work in the specific field which I qualify under (Interior Designer), when I become a permenant resident, can I work anywhere, can I make a career field change?

Yes you can make a career change after you become a PR. However, you will have to apply for work authorization when you submit your AOS package, so make sure you do. Once you have teh EAD you can become employeed anywhere, or keep the same job you had under your TN visa. However, about advance parole, I am not sure so someone else on the board will have to help me out. Once you have and AOS pending you need advance parole in order to leave and return to the US without jeopardizing your status. However, if you get married and honeymoon right away, you should be able to travel and return using your TN visa. It is only after you have filed stating your intetions to become a US resident that you file for advance parole. However, I always suggest talking to a lawyer to find out your options.

Quick answers (my long answer got wiped out..)

1) Yes Mexico is a TN country along with Canada
    2) Yes, you will be able to work after you submit your AOS, EAD (the work 'permit'), and Multiple admission advanced parole. The AOS takes years but the other two depend on where you are (district office / regional center)
    3) Watch out for intent!!! If the BCIS finds out that you are married (or intend to get married) you may lose your TN and be denied re-entry... So file your AOS as soon as you are married! (The Tn is a temporary non-immigrant visa issued by the dep't of labour).
    4) Can't you move your wedding up to before your TN expires? When you go back to get your TN 'renewed' you may hit an a.n.a.l. border guard who unilaterally determnines that a job you have had for 5yrs is not a temporary job and deny your TN. You will then be on the 'wrong' side of the border and have to apply for a fiance visa (k?) - that can take a LONG time and you will be apart from your future spouse...
    5) Once you have the EAD - you can work doing whatever you want and for whomever you desire. Your status is no longer controlled by your employer!

So be careful if you cross he border after you are married and before your change in status (AOS) is filed! The 'magic' document is called 'advanced parole' - request a multiple admission advanced parole - they are good for unlimited border crossings for 1yr...

Good luck and be prepared! I used to be on a TN (1997 - switched to a H1 - 1999) then filed AOS (1999) - that was YEARS ago and I am still 'in the process...'

ARQU

***p...

This board is acting up and although I answered, the post remained buried...

ARQU