Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSN Automatically Issued?

Hi Gang,

Well we made it, my wife emigrated from China to USA 9/14 and just received her green card.

Now we are waiting for SSN. We were told this is automatically issued if requested, and the SSN people confirmed that is true. Problem is, no one knows if this was requested or not. However, it does seem to be the standard route.

What form is this request on? Would the good people at San Fransico Immigrations have requested this without making it clear? Who can I call?

Thanks

BTW we need this for the Driver's Learning Permit - the fun never stops.
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

Hi Gang,

Well we made it, my wife emigrated from China to USA 9/14 and just received her green card.

Now we are waiting for SSN. We were told this is automatically issued if requested, and the SSN people confirmed that is true. Problem is, no one knows if this was requested or not. However, it does seem to be the standard route.

What form is this request on? Would the good people at San Fransico Immigrations have requested this without making it clear? Who can I call?

Thanks

BTW we need this for the Driver's Learning Permit - the fun never stops.
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

You shoud visit Social Security Office in your area and apply for SSN. Immigrants request for SSN card to be mailed to them on DS-230 but it does not work in time. I always recommend people to visit SS Office and apply instead of waiting. It will take 2-3 weeks after you apply for Social Security Card. You can use following link to download the form.

Thanks !

This is crazy - I called Social Security, they have good faith in the automatic system but cannot tell if the SSN was requested. So I called the port of entry, they have no idea either but suggest I call USCIS. I called them, they also have no idea but say I can contact Social Security Office. Great. Now we will likely end up with 2 SSN.
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

Congratulations, WolfRhan!!

OK, the request, if made, would have been on the DS-230 (Part 2) that your wife filled out and took with her to her interview. There's a little box to tick. That request is then forwarded on once she clears secondary inspection in the US.

Given that you've only been waiting 2-3 weeks, I'd hold off a little longer as they state it can take a few weeks. Once you hit the 6 week mark, then you should go in and physically apply.

Good luck
    The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Visit your nearest SS Office. Do not talk to them on phone. Take with you SSN Application, Passport and Green Card along with your wife. They will collect the application. No way you will get two SS Numbers. Even if you receive two cards, number will be the same. I am sure you will only get one card against your new application. Do not pannic. There was no need to call so many departments. Just waste of time.

Thanks guys - I'm not really panicing but I did get a little frustrated by the beaurocratic merry-go-round.

We will just apply for drivers licence and if that comes through without SSN then the SSN can take its own sweet time coming.
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

Most States require SSN for driver's license.

Just for the record Tak was 100% correct.

California DMV require SSN. You could lie but that's not how I roll.

Social security office door is plastered with notices saying how the SSN is applied for on entry. If you call their 'helpline' they swear SSN is applied for on entry and they will screw you around royally if you visit the office. NOT TRUE

We went to the Social Security office armed with Passport, Green card and the application form. We got an appoinment really fast, it wasn't bad at all and the office even smelt nice, fresh with perhaps a hint of vanilla.

So the guy tappity tap tapped away on his computer, he was a bit boring (where do they find these people?) but finally he said he had completed our application and card will arrive in 2 weeks. He also said he couldn't find an existing application although he was bit evasive and perhaps not the brightest tool in the box.

So the best bet is to go to the Social Security Office.
    Wolf. Right Here and Now