50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: F1 student getting married to greencard holder

I am currently on a F1 visa. My fiance can apply for citizenship - he has a greencard.
    We were advised to apply for his citizenship, get married and then petition for for an adjustment of status for me, before he even gets his citizenship. Can we do this? Apparently it takes 4-5 months to get your citizenship in Iowa. I will not be able to go back to school this semester because the whole situation is to costly -school and immigration costs.

I am currently on a F1 visa. My fiance can apply for citizenship - he has a greencard.
    We were advised to apply for his citizenship, get married and then petition for for an adjustment of status for me, before he even gets his citizenship. Can we do this? Apparently it takes 4-5 months to get your citizenship in Iowa. I will not be able to go back to school this semester because the whole situation is to costly -school and immigration costs.

Hi Mcelle and welcome,

I think he needs to be a USC before he can help you adjust status. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will come along and correct me. Good luck!!!!!

You can marry to LPR and he can later apply for Naturalization. However, what if due to any reason, he does not become USC (just 0.001%), you are stuck. You would not like to leave him in the country and at the same time you will not be able to adjust the status. Therefore, thick twice before making any decision. If I were you, I would wait till he becomes USC.

Out of luck, you will either go out of status or marry someone who cannot adjust you immediately. Best to go home, then return when he is a citizen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Out of luck, you will either go out of status or marry someone who cannot adjust you immediately. Best to go home, then return when he is a citizen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed federale86. On occasions, you act reasonably.

He has to be U.S. citizen....
    getting married to a greencard holder is like getting married to an illegal alien...

because it won't make a difference...and just because you marry someone in the US that has a greecard won;t give you any rights or privilege to stay here.
    Not to sound harsh,but thats the law and reality!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tak:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Out of luck, you will either go out of status or marry someone who cannot adjust you immediately. Best to go home, then return when he is a citizen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed federale86. On occasions, you act reasonably. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have to keep reminding him so he doesn't snap back to the dark side. He does know alot!
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Thank you for the advice. This process has been so frustrating because I was advised to start the naturalization, get married and proceed from there, even if I do go out of status. Going out of status is not something I want to do. We have done everything legally in the last three years. We are starting his naturalization process this coming Tuesday. We will get married and I will probably return to my country until all the necessary papers are finalized.

You don't know the strenght of the Dark Side young Koller.