50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Do i have any options....no money for a lawyer PLEASE HELP

This is a very complicated situation so please bear with me....My boyfriend was arrested a week ago for assault charges. When we tried to bail him out , we were informed that there was a detainer on him because of his immigration issues....He has lived in the united states for 5 years, then moved back to his country for 1 year, and returned here 5 years ago. He is married to an american citizen, but currently going through a divorce. They are not yet divorced right now. he has a 2 year old daughter that was born in the US. His has no prior arrests (obviously other than the present charge). So what are my options here? I cannot afford a lawyer, and we have tapped all the financial resources possible....please help

This is a very complicated situation so please bear with me....My boyfriend was arrested a week ago for assault charges. When we tried to bail him out , we were informed that there was a detainer on him because of his immigration issues....He has lived in the united states for 5 years, then moved back to his country for 1 year, and returned here 5 years ago. He is married to an american citizen, but currently going through a divorce. They are not yet divorced right now. he has a 2 year old daughter that was born in the US. His has no prior arrests (obviously other than the present charge). So what are my options here? I cannot afford a lawyer, and we have tapped all the financial resources possible....please help

Your boyfriend is charged with a crime of violence and, If he is convicted, he will rightly be deported. What is his current immigration status? (being married to a soon-to-be-divorced American citizen and having a two-year-old daughter is NOT an immigration status)

It would appear that he is in America illegally, hence the fact that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (I.C.E.) have put a pre-conviction restriction on his release.

I believe he is in fact illegal....I spoke to a few lawyers here and there and from what they tell me, if his wife starts filing the paperwork, there is still a chance to keep him here? I'm just not sure what my next step is

Also....what about sponsering??? Is it absolutly too late at this point?? And if he DOES in fact get deported, is there any way he can come back???

At this point in time, his immigration status would appear to be the least of his problems.

If your boyfriend is convicted of assault, then he will deservedly be deported after he completes whatever sentence is imposed. A conviction will ensure that he will NOT be allowed to immigrate legally to America.

Should your boyfriend be acquitted of the assault charges, then he may have options for legal immigration. In order to discuss potential options, it is necessary to know whether he entered America after having been inspected and admitted at a port-of-entry. However, given that he lived in the country for five years, then went home for a year before returning to America, it seems likely that he entered illegally. Please let us know.

I believe he entered legally with his family. As of now the assult charges are felony assult, but the public defender anticipates that it will be dropped or brought down to disorderly conduct or something to that extent....if this is the case, will he still be deported?

Someone12
    why should we import criminals? We have enough of our own. There is no such thing as a "guest-criminal" visa status. Send this clown home,let him beat up someone from his own culture.