50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: How long for citizenship...

I am Green Card Holder. My 5 year waiting period is up in June of 2005. When can I apply for citizenship? How long will it take until I am granted citizenship?

Thanks.

I am Green Card Holder. My 5 year waiting period is up in June of 2005. When can I apply for citizenship? How long will it take until I am granted citizenship?

Thanks.

You can file your application three months prior to your five years as a resident. However, you should give yourself a bit of a cushion. The BCIS may not count those three months the same way you do, and it is a shame to have your application denied if the BCIS decides you filed a day or two early.

The time it takes depends on your location and any complications in your case. A good average is about a year from application to oath. The process will be much longer through your fault (having a criminal record), the fault of the BCIS (you came to the US in 1942 and they can't locate your permanent file in the FRC), or for any number of other reasons. The process can also be much faster (the Department of Defense needs you for national security, or you are dying of cancer and only have six weeks to live) if BCIS expedites your case.

Also, make sure you meet the physical presence requirement and avoid trips out of the US if they are more than six months.

The Grand Poo-Bah
    Lord Chief Justice, Master of the Buckhounds and Groom of the Back Stairs

Lord,
    Are you implying that an application can be denied just coz its file a day or two early?

Also, where did you get your very long name? Sounds just like more of gloating than a name.

Yes. With direct filing, the Service Center should catch this when they enter the information into their computer. The computer should indicate that the applicant is ineligible and the application should be returned. If the Service Center doesn't catch your mistake, an application filed even one day prior to the statutory requirements will be denied by the adjudicator at the time of interview or after further review. Some older applications will not be denied, because the INS (the old Service) misprinted a set of filing instructions. In such cases, the adjudicator will have you withdraw your improperly filed application and file a new one on the spot. That was a long time ago and there shouldn't be many like this.

As for the name, read Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado

The Grand Poo-Bah
    Lord Chief Justice, Master of the Buckhounds and Groom of the Back Stairs