free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Serious questions about how my girlfriend can come here to live with me

Let me start by saying this:
    My girlfriend (Chilean) and I (USC, born here) met this summer(on vacation in Mexico, then she came here for 3 weeks on a tourist, then I went to see her in Chile for 2 weeks) and have decided that we want to live together to see if we are right for each other. Neither of us wants to get married just so she can come to live with me. In Chile, divorce is illegal, not to mention that she is very catholic and would never hear of it. We both take marriage as a serious institution and do not want to use it as a way to find out if we SHOULD be married or are not meant for each other.
    Here are some of the things we have been considering:
    1. she is already entered in the DV2004, but that will take years, if she is selected.
    2. coming on an education visa. I was going to put the $$$ in her bank account so she could meet the financal requirements of the F1(?) student Visa and we could live together while she is here in school. One benifit to the student visa is that she can work on campus while she's here. It's not much money, but she really doesn't want me to pay for everything, she's adamant about being able to work while here.
    3. Coming on B-2 tourist and informing INS that she is here to look at schools(maybe just gets us a little more time to settle in together before she has to start school) and then changing status to F1.
    4. (Almost a last resort) 129fiancee petition and k-1 visa for her while she is in Chile, then coming here and getting married to me. The reason we didn't want to do this is the aforementioned belief in marriage and after looking in as many different places as I can find, it seems like it could take quite a while for her to acually get the K-1 from the Consulate in Chile)
    5. (Last resort, but shortest wait to see her) Coming here on the tourist Visa, applying for an extention and getting married(hopefully without raising the 30/60 eyebrow of the INS)after a month or two. As eyery one knows, the last thing that I want to happen if for her to be deported and/or barred.
    I have considered going to live with her in Chile, but it's just not financially feasable for me right now. She is a seceratary there, and I doubt she's qualify for any special sort of visa on her own and I don't know of anybody who will sponsor her here even though she is fluent in english (any one need a bilingual seceratary?)

Questions:
    If I file the 129f petition and she supplies all the info to the Consulate in Chile, will she be able to come here on a B-2 or any other way while the K-1 is pending?

I am moving to Ca in the very near future from Vermont, is there an advantage to filing paperwork in VT as opposed to ca(I'll have to use the Los Angeles office because of where I'll be living)? I ask because I will maintain my residence in VT as well as one in CA.

What a pain in the *** for a couple who doesn't want to lie to the Consul or INS, does want to get married because we are in love with each other and not to satisfy a document requirement, and doesn't want to break the law.
    Can any one tell me what the best option is? Have I overlooked something that may be feasable? How long could it/ can it/ does it/ may it take if we do the fiancee Visa application?

sorry the post is so long, I just have a ton of worries about getting her here in a timely manor, which seems to be of no importance to the INS.(I know I know, the have massive amounts of apps. to go through)

Thanks in advance for any help on this,
    Feeling Frustrated With Federal Forms

Let me start by saying this:
    My girlfriend (Chilean) and I (USC, born here) met this summer(on vacation in Mexico, then she came here for 3 weeks on a tourist, then I went to see her in Chile for 2 weeks) and have decided that we want to live together to see if we are right for each other. Neither of us wants to get married just so she can come to live with me. In Chile, divorce is illegal, not to mention that she is very catholic and would never hear of it. We both take marriage as a serious institution and do not want to use it as a way to find out if we SHOULD be married or are not meant for each other.
    Here are some of the things we have been considering:
    1. she is already entered in the DV2004, but that will take years, if she is selected.
    2. coming on an education visa. I was going to put the $$$ in her bank account so she could meet the financal requirements of the F1(?) student Visa and we could live together while she is here in school. One benifit to the student visa is that she can work on campus while she's here. It's not much money, but she really doesn't want me to pay for everything, she's adamant about being able to work while here.
    3. Coming on B-2 tourist and informing INS that she is here to look at schools(maybe just gets us a little more time to settle in together before she has to start school) and then changing status to F1.
    4. (Almost a last resort) 129fiancee petition and k-1 visa for her while she is in Chile, then coming here and getting married to me. The reason we didn't want to do this is the aforementioned belief in marriage and after looking in as many different places as I can find, it seems like it could take quite a while for her to acually get the K-1 from the Consulate in Chile)
    5. (Last resort, but shortest wait to see her) Coming here on the tourist Visa, applying for an extention and getting married(hopefully without raising the 30/60 eyebrow of the INS)after a month or two. As eyery one knows, the last thing that I want to happen if for her to be deported and/or barred.
    I have considered going to live with her in Chile, but it's just not financially feasable for me right now. She is a seceratary there, and I doubt she's qualify for any special sort of visa on her own and I don't know of anybody who will sponsor her here even though she is fluent in english (any one need a bilingual seceratary?)

Questions:
    If I file the 129f petition and she supplies all the info to the Consulate in Chile, will she be able to come here on a B-2 or any other way while the K-1 is pending?

I am moving to Ca in the very near future from Vermont, is there an advantage to filing paperwork in VT as opposed to ca(I'll have to use the Los Angeles office because of where I'll be living)? I ask because I will maintain my residence in VT as well as one in CA.

What a pain in the *** for a couple who doesn't want to lie to the Consul or INS, does want to get married because we are in love with each other and not to satisfy a document requirement, and doesn't want to break the law.
    Can any one tell me what the best option is? Have I overlooked something that may be feasable? How long could it/ can it/ does it/ may it take if we do the fiancee Visa application?

sorry the post is so long, I just have a ton of worries about getting her here in a timely manor, which seems to be of no importance to the INS.(I know I know, the have massive amounts of apps. to go through)

Thanks in advance for any help on this,
    Feeling Frustrated With Federal Forms

If I petition for her K-1, say today, will she be able to come visit me 30 days from now, before she actually gets the K-1 from the US Consul in Chile, or once the process is started, she can not come to the US to see me? What about me going to see her because I don't need a visa to go to Chile? is that an option?

In reality, the B2 and F1 face the same problem; the embassy has to believe that your GF will depart the US after a visit or studies. But by your own admission, this does not seem likely. It is very very difficult to ask for a B2 to live with someone to "see if things work out.." because if they do, well, the foreign visitor gets married and does NOT return to their country...which means that person was not a tourist to begin with.
    Same with going to school; if the embassy does not believe that your GF will go back to Chile after her studies but rather is using the student visa to "see if things work out", well, she will face a big hurdle.
    All of these long term visas will be tough to get because the embassy knows that a person spending a lot of time in the US will be likely to try and establish roots there - especially if they have a BF of GF waiting.
    Really, the K visa gives you 90 days after she arrives to get married; if you don't, she returns to Chile without difficulty and can even obtain another K1 visa (tho you have to do the paperwork again). This is the most straightforward way to accomplish your goal (although a bit time consuming in terms of processing).

Oh, about the processing time for the K1, figure about 6-8 weeks at INS, after approval about 2 weeks to be sent to Chile; 2 weeks roughly for the embassy to put together the other papers and send them out to your GF and then they will set an appointment date for her which will depend on their workload - estimate about a month after they send out the rest of the paperwork to her. Add it up it is about 4-6 months, depending on a)INS and b) the embassy workload.

She would probably have a tough time getting a B2 visa with a K1 visa in the works - the K is more like a temporary immigrant visa and since the vast proportion of K1 holders marry (and stay in the US) she would likely find it difficult to convince the embassy that she would return to get the K (instead of staying and getting married or trying to extend her B2).
    This is not to say that she would absolutely not get a B2, but the odds seem against it (assuming she has the K in process).