free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Our Immigration Lawyer abandoned us

our immigration laywer abandoned us.
    We filed a few papers with her. But haven't done the avodavid or the finger printing yet.
    My husband has recieved his work permit and visa for travel, but they will expire soon so he will need to file again.
    Can we continue without a lawyer at this point?
    If so how should we inform INS?
    Would it be wise to continue without a lawyer?

our immigration laywer abandoned us.
    We filed a few papers with her. But haven't done the avodavid or the finger printing yet.
    My husband has recieved his work permit and visa for travel, but they will expire soon so he will need to file again.
    Can we continue without a lawyer at this point?
    If so how should we inform INS?
    Would it be wise to continue without a lawyer?

There will always be pros and cons in getting lawyer to help you.In my case, I was so fortunate to have a good and cheap(not inexpensive) one.
    Of course you can do the filing of the extension of the H1B and all you have to do is show the previously approved application attached in your application and double check your applications, step by step.A fundamental rule is in case of doubt don't proceed with the application.Try using this board or consult others and maybe you can get better results.

Our laywer left the country and didn't even inform us. The papers we filed with her can't be found either.
    I just want to know if we have to inform INS of the fact that we do not have a lawyer any longer?

Bugsy is an idiot.
    Inform INS that your attorney is no longer representing you and that you will from this point foward you will be representing yourself.
    This is an important point because INS correspondence will continue to be delivered to your attorney (and you therefore may not receive copies of important correspondence).

Vgirl, What paperwork did you file?
    You don't need an attorney really unless there are extenuating circumstances such as an arrest or an over stay etc...

You do need to inform the INS to send all paperwork to you at your address at this point.

I don't know what you applied for, but just about all applications can be handled by the immigrant or sponsor. (barring legal problems)

Usually an attorney is nice to have, but certianly not needed.

For comfort of mind, you can usually get an immigration attorney to give you a consultation for $75. This usually lasts until you have asked all your questions and then free for additional questions after. Look in the yellow pages for one and call them.

Forms are available on the INS web page once you know which ones you need. eg travel renewals, EAD renewals whatever. Assuming that you have not moved or that you have kept the INS informed of your new address, the INS will send a copy of the fingerprinting to you and your now invisible attorney, so you should be covered there. If you have moved, the INS web page will tell you how to get your address changed at whatever center you filed at.