50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: wanting to be a us citizen

can someone out there help me please i would very much like to become a us citizen . i want to denounce my canadian citizenship and become american. I have tryed to find someone to do a temp work visa for me with no luck . can someone please help me with a way to be able to get my wish to come i want to be a citizen on my own not by marrying my fiancee to do it he would also like me to already be a citizen before we are married so that no family member can say he married me to make me an american

can someone out there help me please i would very much like to become a us citizen . i want to denounce my canadian citizenship and become american. I have tryed to find someone to do a temp work visa for me with no luck . can someone please help me with a way to be able to get my wish to come i want to be a citizen on my own not by marrying my fiancee to do it he would also like me to already be a citizen before we are married so that no family member can say he married me to make me an american

I can certainly feel for you. I am in the same boat too. I want so desparately to get a working visa, than apply to be a perm. resident, then eventually a citizen. It is hard to find an employer who will take the chance and time to do the approp. paper work. I have yet to find one. I have 3years college. 10 years in management, no record, etc. I feel so discouraged at times, that i am not sure i have the strength to move forward with my quest.
    Signed: Very sad, wish someone cared!

Canada will let you hav dual citizenship, you don't have to give up your canadian citizenship.

The employment road to U.S. naturalization is a tedious and uncertain one (I believe there is currently a class action suit of Nurses who were re-newing their work visas to the maximal limit of 6 yrs. with no outlook on adjusting their status to that of pemanent residency).

Sorry of assuming that what your fiance is telling you at this time sounds to me rather like the avoidance of the actual marriage issue (why would he need to tell his family that your're a foreigner and don't have a U.S. visa already)?

hanbal his family already knows that i am from a different country and it is also my family that we dont want to think that we are getting married just for the citizenship

I think the reason they may think you're getting married just for the citizenship is because they don't know how long it actually takes to get it.
    It's not like you can get married and poof you have citizenship. You have to wait years, file a whole bunch of paperwork and wait.

There is just as much paperwork either way, probably more in the marriage one. You have to prove it's a real marriage, you have to file 2 years after you get your green card (if it's the conditional one) to have those conditions removed and prove that you have been living together all that time. Then you have to wait again until you can file for citizenship.

Just get married when you feel it's right. If you guys both feel it's now, get married, start your lives together.

becoming a citizen is a very difficult process. Unless you are extremely highly educated (have Masters/Ph.D) and are phenomenal in your field it is difficult to move beyond the temporary work visa status into that of Permanent Resident. Then you will have to wait years and years to even be able to consider becoming a citizen.

It is MUCH more feasible and MUCH quicker to become a citizen if you marry (although you still have to pass through permanent resident status for somewhere between 3-5 years)

You may be able to obtain a work visa or even (eventually) permanent resident status via an area in which we desperately need workers, such as nursing although again, even permanent resident status is difficult in this way.

It may be frustrating, but these are the laws, and there is some level of logic to this.

Therefore, your most reasonable options are:
    1. your fiancee moves to canada (either via marriage or if he qualifies as a skilled worker)

2. you move to a third country where you can both obtain permanent residency.

3.you sit down and talk to his parents, and demonstrate that before you can become a citizen you are granted only a temporary green card which is contingent upon the marriage, if the marriage doesn't last at least three years (I think this is the right number) then you cannot stay in the US without becoming illegal and that residency can be revoked (or not granted) if the INS feels that it is a marriage of convenience. You may also want to explain that Canada is not a third world country, and you wouldn't get married just to leave canada, but only because you love your fiancee. You will also need to demonstrate to them in thought and word how much you really care for your fiancee.

I know that pride is a big issue, but if your reasons for marrying are honest, then swallow your pride and enter into the marriage with everything you have. A marriage is sharing and helping... why not start here?

If his family are reasonable people then you will be accepted and loved regardless of how you came here. I married an illegal alien, and have spent the last two years trying to work my way through the system.... you know I don't think my family has ever asked me if he married me for residency (they know that (hopefully) one day he will get his residency because of me, but that he wouldn't have married me just for that. Just as they know that if I ever got sick he would take care of me and give up whatever was necessary to help me and to be with me.) Sure my family may be somewhat exceptional, but I am sure that his will come around - VERY QUICKLY!!!

Good luck

I'm not Canadian, but I wonder why his family have the animosity against you. If you love each other what's it got to do with them!