publisher - over
50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: can i change from F-1 to M-1????

Hello, can some one help me with this question!?
    I am now a student under valid F-1 visa. I would like to go to a school that offers I-20 and M-1 visa, not F-1 visa. Can I transfer to this school and change my status from F-1 to M-1 or must I travel outside of the US and get a M-1 visa? The new school has already accepted me and will give me a new I-20 as well.
    Please help!

Hello, can some one help me with this question!?
    I am now a student under valid F-1 visa. I would like to go to a school that offers I-20 and M-1 visa, not F-1 visa. Can I transfer to this school and change my status from F-1 to M-1 or must I travel outside of the US and get a M-1 visa? The new school has already accepted me and will give me a new I-20 as well.
    Please help!

yes, you can simply transfer from F-1 to M-1 visa status. I am 90% sure you don't need to travel outside to get the M-1. This transfer should be pretty simple.

But now I have a question myself: the person with F-1 visa can stay for an extra year after the completion of school in order to find a job. That's not the case for M-1. (you would have to leave in 30 days, I think)
    Now, I am a F-1 student, and upon completion of my study, I want to study in a half-year program (M-1). If I change my status to M-1, I will only have 30 days of stay. Is there anyway I can stay here for the full 1 year from the F-1, while going to the school with M-1? The reason for this is because I desperatly wanting to get a job in US, just for gaining more experience.
    Thanks!

Hi Bee****u
    Thanks for your reply? Are you 90% sure because some one you know has actually done this? I'm just worried and would like to know as much as I can! My advisor at school told me that changing from F-1 to M-1 is a big problem and that I may have to travel outside the US. But then, this advisor has told me the wrong information many times before, so I am trying to do some research of my own!!

About your question:
    If you change to M-1 before completing your one year stay (optional practical training) period, you will have to give up your one year practical training. Then you will only have the 30 days upon completing your hal fyear course. However, you can obtain your one year practical training and at the same time attend your half year school. In this case you will not be attending as a M-1 student ofcourse. Then you will still have one year to attend this school for half a year, work at the same time, or work for the remaining time after you complete this half year school. Either way, it is better than changing to M-1 and loosing your one year practical training.
    I hope my answer is clear.

you can't change from M-1 to F-1 but F-1 to M-1 , yes