50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Please Help

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if I could enter the states with a one way plane ticket. I will have supporting documents like a letter of my employer and lease of my present apartment to show that I will return.

In case you are wondering, I plan to visit the US for 6 months and my frequent flyer points can only take me there one way. I will buy my return ticket in the States.

Thank you.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if I could enter the states with a one way plane ticket. I will have supporting documents like a letter of my employer and lease of my present apartment to show that I will return.

In case you are wondering, I plan to visit the US for 6 months and my frequent flyer points can only take me there one way. I will buy my return ticket in the States.

Thank you.

If you plan on coming on the visa waiver program you cannot come on a 1 way ticket. Just buy your ticket back now.

You can read about the VWP at:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/lawenfor...spect/vwpp.htm

If you don't plan on coming on a VWP, let us know what kind of visa you are coming on.

Thank you for your immediate reply. I am not coming on a visa waiver program but a B1/B2 visa. Do I still need to buy the return ticket?

Thank you again.

I looked and I couldn't see anything stating that it is a requirement.

Here is the INS page:

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/services...usPleasure.htm

and from the US department of state:

http://travel.state.gov/visa;visitors.html

I would call the US embassy in the country where you live and ask them. You don't want to come all the way and be denied when you get here.

Someone else from the board might know.

It would be best for you to buy a return ticket before you decide to come to the US.
    There is no assurance that you can stay for 6 months as you mention,it is all in the discretion of the INS inspector.And if you can stay here for 6 months,on what assurance you will tell INS inspector that you will come back to your country?S/he might ask you a lot of questions, one is if you plan of staying for 6 months,how and where weill you get your expenses on this and therefore if you cannot afford to buy a return ticket, how can you afford to stay for 6 months unless of course you have other plans.wishing you luck anyway.

Thank you Marie and Bugsy for your replies. I will purchase my return ticket before i leave for the US.