50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Thread: Confusion on INS paperwork...

We filed for our I-485 and I-765 when we got married. Right now l am still waiting for my work authorization. However, my question is that... when we filed in the forms, we filled them in with my maiden last name as the way it was indicated on my passport, however, once l get my work permit and apply for a social security number, l would like to be able to use my husbands last name on my SS card. would this confuse or cause any problems for me with the INS office?
    Thank you
    Sarah
    seracin@hotmail.com

there is a way ins allows to change name

Same thing happened to me. I filed my paperwork using my maiden name, but I wanted my maiden name and my married name on my SSN card. The Social Sec. Administration checks with INS anyways. However, I brought a copy of my marriage license showing the name at my marriage. That should do it.

When we filed for wife, we used her new married name, and there was a field for maiden name. Marriage license connected old name to new name. Wifes EAD is in her new last name. Why did you file 485 with old name?

Because l gave all the information to the lawyer and with his 'guidance' we filed in with my maiden name. Now mind you, l presumed that l would need to be filing in what ever info l have on my passport. l never even had any douts about it, but now @#?#!!!!!!

l guess now my question would be is .... how / when to fix it.

Once you get your EAD. You can change your name through Civil Court by filing Change of Name petition. The court will allow you to change the name, on court's order you will have to send copy of that order to the Immigration and also print in the local Newspaper. You can do it yourself or you can get assistance of an Attorney, it usually costs $300.00 to $500.00 including Court Fee and Newspaper advertising.
    Good luck.

Once you get your EAD. You can change your name through Civil Court by filing Change of Name petition. The court will allow you to change the name, on court's order you will have to send copy of that order to the Immigration and also print in the local Newspaper. You can do it yourself or you can get assistance of an Attorney, it usually costs $300.00 to $500.00 including Court Fee and Newspaper advertising.
    Good luck.