50000 pages of
free information!
Copyright
© 1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can i get married,if i don't have a valid social security nr?

Hi!I overstayed my J1 Visa,for one year,and now i want to get married with a usc.We are toghether for one year.We live in NY state,and we read from the internet all the informations about marriage licence,and we found out that we both need the social security nr.My social security nr is not valid anymore.Are we still able to get married?I just have to fill the nr in the aplication?Will i have any problems?Will they ask me for my passport,or birth certificate?I don't have the birth certificate with me.Where can we get married,only at the City Hall?
    Thank you Julie,Me2,and acelaw for answering me before.I feel much better,knowing that we have some chances to get married.I found amasing,how people here help each other.
    Can somebody confirm me that this is what AOS contains?:
    I-130(petition of alien relative)
    I-485(AOS form)
    I-693(medical form)
    G325A(biographic info)
    I-864(affidavit of suport)
    Thank you from all my heart to every body who will read this and answer me.

Hi!I overstayed my J1 Visa,for one year,and now i want to get married with a usc.We are toghether for one year.We live in NY state,and we read from the internet all the informations about marriage licence,and we found out that we both need the social security nr.My social security nr is not valid anymore.Are we still able to get married?I just have to fill the nr in the aplication?Will i have any problems?Will they ask me for my passport,or birth certificate?I don't have the birth certificate with me.Where can we get married,only at the City Hall?
    Thank you Julie,Me2,and acelaw for answering me before.I feel much better,knowing that we have some chances to get married.I found amasing,how people here help each other.
    Can somebody confirm me that this is what AOS contains?:
    I-130(petition of alien relative)
    I-485(AOS form)
    I-693(medical form)
    G325A(biographic info)
    I-864(affidavit of suport)
    Thank you from all my heart to every body who will read this and answer me.

Not all places need SS# to get married. Check in your internet the court house around your area where you live and what documents they need you to bring. Many just need passport. I don't think I came accross that need SS# (but not possible). They won't ask questions like BCIS did...their work just to get ppl married. So as long as you have your passport that will be okay. But as I said, check in your internet. Go to google and search court house or go to government site at your area you living.

Yes...the forms are correct. But if you want to work while your AOS is pending, fill I-765 too. So you can work legally. And also if you want to travel fill form I-131 (Advance Parole)...but my advise is, just wait until you get your PR. That will be much safer.

Good luck.

You can get a ss # if you go there. They can issue you one that will be stamped "not valid for work" or something. Also, they can issue a tax ID # card which can be used to file for taxes without the SS #. Maybe that would work if the courthouse requires a number.

Does courthouse provide SS#? I thought only Social Administration allow to do that. Hmmm...oh well, may be I lack of knowledge

No the social security office, govt office issues.

I have a ss nr,from last year when i came here,but it says ''valid for work only with ins authorization''.But because i don't have that authorization anymore,can i just use this one?And if they ask for my passport,they don't check if the visa is expired?thank you again to Julie and Me2 for helping me.

Absolutely use that one. No the marriage office is a 'clerk of courts', they are a state agency, not a federal agency like immigration is. You may also go into a drivers license place and get a state issued ID card (looks just like license but for identification only). With your SS card and state issued ID card, this is all the identification anyone should ever need from you.

I didnt have a social security number nor any valid US ID. I showed my passaport and that was enough. I got married in NY and the City Hall (in Long Island) had no problem at all for issuing my marriage license or my marriage certificate. When they asked me for my SS number I simply said I didnt have one. My ID was my foreign passport but I dont even remember if they wrote the number in the license (I guess they did).

When we got married in Nevada, they asked for identification and a social security number. We just told them that my husband didn't have a social security number, and they gave us the marriage license anyway.
    Have a nice day