Copyright
1995-
ILW.COM,
American
Immigration LLC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Help needed friends

Hello Friends,
    First of all thanks for reading my posting. Okay I have 2 situations to think about. I am a Indian citizen married to USC I am currently awaiting for my AOS interview with the INS here in Chicago it is been more then 10 months now so I guess we would be called soon (I hope). Okay since my green card is based on marriage I am sure INS will ask me and my wife how we met? Here lies the problem I met my wife on the Internet around 2 years ago and I have been married to my sweetheart for more then 18 months now. Now the problem is that when our parents and friends and everyone asked us how we met we made up a story that we met in a big mall right here in Chicago the reason we told our family a story was cause we did not want them to freak out on us since there are so many wierdos out there online and it looks cheap but in fact the reality was that I met her in a chat room. Now both of us are worried which story we should stick too I know we should tell the INS that we met online but would it be given the same weight or importance as if we would have met on face to face? What if the INS asks her parents how we met? Secondly we married twice once in Chicago court and the other one with nearly 50 guests in a hotel. The reason we got married in the court (secretly) was cause my OPT (practical training) was going to expire and I did not want to go out of status so we married with just one of my friend's as a witness and then this year we married again with over 50 guests with my and her family. What if the INS asks my parents when we got married they would say this year but in fact we were married for almost 18 months now and not 3 months ago. Your help in this matter is really appreciated guys.

Sunil. M

Hello Friends,
    First of all thanks for reading my posting. Okay I have 2 situations to think about. I am a Indian citizen married to USC I am currently awaiting for my AOS interview with the INS here in Chicago it is been more then 10 months now so I guess we would be called soon (I hope). Okay since my green card is based on marriage I am sure INS will ask me and my wife how we met? Here lies the problem I met my wife on the Internet around 2 years ago and I have been married to my sweetheart for more then 18 months now. Now the problem is that when our parents and friends and everyone asked us how we met we made up a story that we met in a big mall right here in Chicago the reason we told our family a story was cause we did not want them to freak out on us since there are so many wierdos out there online and it looks cheap but in fact the reality was that I met her in a chat room. Now both of us are worried which story we should stick too I know we should tell the INS that we met online but would it be given the same weight or importance as if we would have met on face to face? What if the INS asks her parents how we met? Secondly we married twice once in Chicago court and the other one with nearly 50 guests in a hotel. The reason we got married in the court (secretly) was cause my OPT (practical training) was going to expire and I did not want to go out of status so we married with just one of my friend's as a witness and then this year we married again with over 50 guests with my and her family. What if the INS asks my parents when we got married they would say this year but in fact we were married for almost 18 months now and not 3 months ago. Your help in this matter is really appreciated guys.

Sunil. M

post your email

Can anyone post some answer please? Mohan/umesh/one heart?

Guys???? hello???

I don't have the answers to your question. But if it was me, I would sit down with your parents and tell them the truth. and then tell the INS the trust. You don't want to lie to the INS. You might never get caught for it. but that doesn't mean it's ok to do.

I understnad why you did what you did. But now your family sees you are happy together, and they should understnad when you tell them what happened and why you didn't.

And no, the INS doesn't give people a hard time if they've met online.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck

Jenny

Ok, I could be giving you totally wrong advice here but I am going to assume that you can't tell your family the truth without causing some problems within your family. I have always found it best to be honest with the immigration authorities, but honestly, if you tell them the Chicago mall story about how you met I think it would be better. It is better to have consistent stories than for your family to say one thing and you to say another. As for the date of your marriage, you can just tell them you were legally married on one date but had the ceremony with your family on another. I would leave the part out about legally marrying earlier because of your AOS; you should have some reason why it was not possible to have the family ceremony until a later date (time to make arrangements, family from far away had to travel, something like that).

I have no idea how the Chicago office is about interviews, but personally when my husband and I had our interview they didn't delve too deep and demand explanations for everything. If your marriage seems legitimate and you have evidence such as wedding photos, letters and card of congratulations, a lease and utility bills in both your names, etc. then I doubt you will have much problem.

Sunil,

don't you think that you are worrying a lot here and you do not need too ???
    Fisrt, you should tell the INS the truth story, I mean thta you met online. You said you married twice ? WHAT DO YOU MEAN ? I do not think that you have 2 mariage certificate ? You must have only one right ??? So the date oon that one is the right date that you should give to the INS.
    regarding your parents, well Ins WILL NEVER GO AND INTERVIEW THEM ..you and your spouse are the ones to be interviewd so just tell the truth...and regarding yr parents once again, if you do not feel at ease telling them that you met online than it's yr business..this is yr private life....
    I think that you are worrying for nothing....you have been married for a while so yr marriage is real and not a sham one...tell the truth to the INS...and that's it !!!!
    Good luck...

Sunil, the easiness or success of yr interivew would depend entirely on two factors-(1) the mood/attitude of the adjudication officer at the day of yr interview, (2) if it seems something "FISHY" in yr case, which means either huge age gap between both of you (husband-wife), or may be at the time of interview yr wife is acting very strangly like she might have drug, drink, or might taking the interview as a joke as if it doesn't matter to her whether yr application is approved or denied. Then, INS would further investigate yr case in more depth, which can go to any extent, i mean they can inquire with both of your's neighbor, at work places, families, friends, as well to keep eye on both of you for weeks in order to find out the legitimacy of the marriage. In addition, they will ask all types of question which only a legitimate couple can answer-such as- what movie is favorite or watched last time together, food, name and location of electric appliances in yr home, color of curtains/walls, which sides you guys sleep,color of toothbrush, names and location of each of yours family members,what kind of car do you guys have, how do you throw garbage, and if adjudication officer felt more to investigate then s/he can also ask very personal and intimate question in order to find the legitimacy of marriage, and their action is perfectly okay under the law. Sometime, they can even call for DNA test on you guys' children to verify the relationship, if you have any.

But, it is very important for you to know that INS would investigate the matter upto this extent only if something seems "FISHY", and i hope you understand what i mean, right? Otherwise, 99.99% marriage cases get approval without asking a single question or may be one or two, that is, because INS is more concerned on documentary evidences rather than other kind of time wasting/consuming, because they really don't have that much time to spend on one case alone. I know it is a sham to our way of govt's job, that's why 92% marriage cases are easily approved even though they are all fraud cases.Everybody aware of this kind of fraud including INS and congress, but they are not making any harsh rule nor investigating the matter properly, because of lack of time and money. Hopefully, in the future, may be govt. gets awake on this issue, but in my view, it would too late by then.

So, the answer to yr question is NO, INS would not inquire to yr parent or anyone about how did you meet to each other unless the above situation applies to you. Whatever story you wanna stick, you can do that, but be "CONSISTENCE" in each other's statements, i mean both of you must have the same statement or answer, if not then yr case would fall under further investigation or may be towards denial. INS don't care how many times you celebrate your marriage, the only matter to them the date of yr official(civil) marriage, and obviously they would have verified it already before they will send you an appointment letter for interview, So, they wouldn't ask anything about yr other marriage ceremonies, or what did you tell to yr friends, family as long as both of you have consistency in yr story. As well, there is only 10 months passed by since you filed yr AOS, you need to wait more time because the processing time on this application in Chicago is "UPTO" 24 months even if letter of Notice is stating something.

Furthermore, you have said that you are married for last 18 months to yr sweetheart, so my strong, strong,strong advise to you is that if in case,you receive appointment letter for interview which indicates the date of yr interview within 6 months periord, then you should postpone that interview on any given reasons and ask for resheduling it for some other time in the future, because later on yr marriage would be for 2yrs in order to receive you a full p.residency rather than temp.one if yr marriage would be less than 2yrs at the time of yr interview. This way you can save lots of money, time, hussle and you do not need another approval on another application in order to have full p.residency. I hope you have understood what i am trying to say. If i am not wrong, you are Rao, who has posted many questions previously on this board related to yr marriage case, unless i am wrong. Overall, i strongly believe INS would not ask a damn question in yr case because usually they don't have time to spend on only one case specifically on the case, which seems to be case for "slum-dunk". Good Luck.

To Jenny,
    Thanks for the Response and understanding my situation. Thanks a lot. Happy to know that there won't be a problem about meeting people online. I just had to tell this to someone to get a second opinion thanks once again. Believe me I am the last person on this planet to lie about anything to the INS or any other US government agency don't want to take any kind of risk.

Sunil

To Guest,
    Thanks for responding to my posting. As far as telling the INS the truth is concerned I was going to do that anyway I was just here to get some second opinion (which I got now) There is no way I am lying I am telling them the truth that is 100% for sure. As far as having evidence of having the marriage legitimate is concerned well we have a truckload of it (cars, insurance, leases, pictures, letters, certificates, tickets, accounts, videos etc etc) The only problem was how do we tell our parents that is all. Anyway thanks a lot for your help.

Sunil

To www
    Thanks for responding to my posting. Like I have said earlier I will not lie nor was I planning on lying to the INS or any government agency the problem was with my parents that is all. And yes we just have one marriage certificate. And yes you are right our marriage is real and there is nothing to worry about but then once again you are right I always worry about things but that is the way I am though. Anyway thanks for all the help.

Sunil

To Sammy,
    Thanks so much for responding to my quires I really appreciate it. No my wife and me are a year apart. So no much age difference there. No I am not Mr. Rao. The only reason I posted my problem was to get a second opinion since me and my wife were just wondering what to do that is all. In any case we had decided to stick with the real story (online) cause lying does not get people very far one day nor the other you are caught and I just don't want that to be me so Honesty is my policy. Once again thank you so much for responding to my posting I feel a little better talking to you guys now.

Sunil